PDA

View Full Version : 84 Honda 200es, Ignition AND timing help

cmenefee1029
01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I have an 1984 200es, sometimes i get fire at the plug, sometimes I don't. I've checked all the connection and they all seem to be okay. I have a manual, but it doesn't tell how to set the timin( TDC and all that) Now when she is running, I get a hiccup at idle and/or when I give it throttle. Sounds like it kinda backfires through the carb.. ANyone have this problem or can help me out? PLEASE

Lamont
01-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Start simple. new plug. have a multimeter? IF so, check manual for proper ohm readings of source coil, pulsar coil(under cdi cover), ignition coil, spark plug wire and spark plug boot.

Now, for the stumble/backfire, make sure valves are adjusted properly first. Is the exhaust smoky?

cmenefee1029
01-13-2012, 09:08 PM
yes the exhaust is slightly smokey upon accelleration

Lamont
01-14-2012, 12:17 AM
My bet is wrong jet or wrong needle position. when you get the carb slide out, make sure needle is set at 2nd groove from the top.

muthey
01-14-2012, 02:05 AM
After you double check the jets in the carb by cross referencing them to a manual, ohm check the cdi sometimes it can go bad causing similar problems.

cmenefee1029
01-14-2012, 07:50 PM
okay, I replaced the coil and wire with a new one..got constant fire!!hoo-rah!! I was still having problems after I reset the jet to the second groove. Did I mention this is a new carb I bought from ebay? Well, I took that one off and re-installed my OEM carb. It runs better but will still need to rebuild it. Just ordered a Moose rebuild kit. While I wait for that to be delivered, I plan to adjust the valves. Should I also check the timing while I am at it? If so how do I go about it?

muthey
01-14-2012, 10:44 PM
have to got a manual yet, it is all explained in there alot better than we can do it here, plus it won't get pushed down the list. Also you will have to remove the pulse generator, and the plug on the case by the pull start, then it's just rotate the t mark on the fly wheel till it and the cam mark line up with their notches, some times the first time around is 180* off and you have to bring the crank around again. Here is a link to a downloadable manual http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/