PDA

View Full Version : ATC 200ES Carb issues

mtslesse
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
My first post here, never thought I'd say this, but love these Trikes!!!

My dads friend just gave us his '84 Honda ATC 200ES Big Red for $300. It needed a couple things but overal was in absolutely perfect almost new condition. The things it needed were from sitting for the last 6-10 years. He really had no idea how long it sat.

The tank had been lined at one time, but was failing, so I had the tank cleaned out at a local Radiator shop, and they re-ligned it again. They did a great job, and the tank looks brand new again.

The Battery was dead, so dropped a new one in. The fuel petcock was to totally gummed up, so replaced it. Changed all the fluids from end to end. Replaced the right cover gasket after checking/cleaning the oil pump out. New air filter as well.

The carb was pretty bad, so cleaned, and replaced all the gaskets, O-rings, the needle jet, and needle. Everything is stock, and the kit was honda OEM. Did not change the main jet, the pilot screw/jet, or the needle jet long holder thing that the main jet sits on.

So this is the issue. Pulled the trike out, fired up first press of the button. :D Idled perfectly. I ran it around the yard after it warmed up for about 3-5 minutes. Then let it sit a bit while my wife brought out the seat which we had inside. She jumped on, quick lesson on the shifting pattern (all the while still idling, hadn't shut it down since the first start), and she took off playing, shifting, and doing power slides all over. She wouldn't give it back, she liked it better than her quad :lol: (obviously). After about 20 minutes she came back and let me jump on. I took it about 300 yards, it started to subtlely burp. I limped it back to the barn, and it died. Tried to start it up again, and nothing. Swapped out the old Spark Plug (should have done that before) but no dice.

I smelt a light fuel smell when i was riding it back before it died, which made me think it was flooding itself. So I tried shutting off the fuel, and tried starting it, it barely ran with full throttle until it slowly burned what i believe to be the fuel in the float down and then started to pick up rpms, so i back off the throttle to maintain an almost idle situation until it burned all the fuel in the carb and died. If I turned on the fuel it would stall out with a gas smell. :wondering

Any suggestiongs before I pull the carb off again. I have the Pilot jet two turns out ( I have no idea what it was, as it was so gummed up from sitting). I don't know what would cause the carb to just totally flood out like that, looking for help!!!

Thanks

mtslesse
01-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Well, turns out it was a pretty easy fix, or so I think.

Pulled everything back apart, and the needle jet holder had some how backed itself off and fallen out. So the needle jet fell into the float chamber. I haven't run the bike to check it, but I will take it out again in the morning. I'm fairly certain that was the issue, as that's pretty drastic considering a small hair can set the whole fuel mixture off.

Thought I'd update my own thread in case anyone was actually wondering what went wrong. Time for a :beer

mtslesse
01-15-2012, 07:52 PM
We took it out, and ran it for about 2 hours straight, WHAT A BLAST!! First problem solved!

We are now trying to figure out a new issue. The trike runs, and idles perfectly. Pull the choke to start it when its cold, push the choke in straight away, and let her warm up. No issues. Ride around anywhere below half throttle, smooth as silk!! Now about then, the issues start. At just under half throttle the trike starts to stumble, at 1/2 - 3/4 the trike starts to bog with steady throttle. 3/4 - WOT the trike bogs really bad and almost stalls out. All the issues have are being checked with steady and slow throttle applications.

My setup is this. We are at about 600' above Sea Level, I have the clip on the third (middle) position. Air Screw is 2 turns out. Main jet is OEM #95 (pretty sure it is anyways). New Spark plug, with good spark on each pull, and good compression. New Air Filter. Everything is OEM. Carb has been cleaned, soaked, and boiled to get all of the cleaning agent out. All jets were checked, and everything blown clear after with air.

I honestly think its just a simple jetting adjustment, but it's been a long time since I have worked on a carb. I used to understand the theory, but I replaced that bit of smarts somewhere somehow...lol...I'm trying really hard to resist the urge to buy an eBay VROOM VROOM Carb, but maybe this carb has just sat to long to fix. Just found the "Carb Jetting 101", see how that goes.

Any help? or experiences with similar bog issues?

We love this thing though, had an absolute blast, this is our first trike, and our first ever rides on trikes. JUST LOVED IT!! And since my wife refuses to let me ride it, she has agreed to a second!! :D

Here is a photo of the new toy 139905

MonroeMike
01-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Nice bike.

I would check the float height.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126290-ATC185-200-Service-Data

mtslesse
01-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Based on some of the reading I had been doing I thought Float height as well.

On my float there isn't a metal tang to be bent in either direction to increase or decrease the float. My float is completely plastic.

I heard one member say they heated up the little plastic piece between the two floats and bent it, but I'm thinking if I do that, I'll bugger it up for sure. Are the floats on this carb just meant to be replaced if they aren't sitting at the right height anymore? Heading out to check the height now.

mtslesse
01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
So I went out and measured the float height, and its .554 inch, and is supposed to be .55 inch based on the manual.

I'm going into the local shop to see my mechanic buddy there to see if he gets the same result, not sure what the issue is. A slight change to the above, the trike almost seems to like starting without the choke, like if I pull the choke to start it, I have to push it in straight away to keep it running, and give it a little gas...but its about the same if I just leave the choke in, and start it.

Thanks again for any help, I ordered an Ebay special, but I won't give up on the OEM carb, I'm just can't do it!!

mtslesse
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Didn't give up on the OEM Carb, and got it dialed in. I boiled the hell out of it, and there must have been some small piece of something somewhere. And its good to go. Sadly I went ahead and ordered a new Carb of Ebay from ZOOM ZOOM, so if anyone is looking for a carb, let me know, the Ebay carb is available for cheap! PM if your interested

Kenny_smallz
02-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Well, turns out it was a pretty easy fix, or so I think.

Pulled everything back apart, and the needle jet holder had some how backed itself off and fallen out. So the needle jet fell into the float chamber. I haven't run the bike to check it, but I will take it out again in the morning. I'm fairly certain that was the issue, as that's pretty drastic considering a small hair can set the whole fuel mixture off.

Thought I'd update my own thread in case anyone was actually wondering what went wrong. Time for a :beeri have actually had this happen to me a few times, seems funny, sometimes don't know why it happens, maybe i was in a hurry and did'nt tighten it up? maybe just vibrated loose, quick fix but sure did have me cross eyed lol.....

tri again
02-04-2012, 02:53 AM
almost started to sound like a bad gas cap vent not letting fuel flow.
Glad you found it.
Always nice to outsmart the gremlins.

DasUberKraut
02-04-2012, 03:48 AM
How much for ebay carb?

mtslesse
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
UBER, send me a PM, being that you're across the border it could be a pain, but I can mail it out next weekend when I head over the line if we work something out. But honestly, for someone in the US, you'll most likely be able to get it cheaper shipped to your door. ZOOM ZOOM sells the carb for $35 bucks shipped. Since I'm north of the Border it was nearly $45 shipped.

I was hoping to get $35, and that would obviously be from someone up here in Canada.