PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the new Addiction/ gonna need 3WW help!

Knobby Addict
01-16-2012, 08:23 AM
I did have a question bout the 1985 sx's and the carb/rear issues in my nooby post. I did some research and there wasn't much to say so I pulled the trigger on these two gems. One runs and drives with only cosmetic issues, other has good potential with bent forks. I can't wait to fix the rusty leaky fuel tanks, find out how much water has been sitting in the rear diffs, change 30 year old dry rotted tires, and smell really old gas and mud in the garage!!!!

Most guys just get a real girlfriend? Yea it smells better but the wife get's mad!

So lay it on me...what other issue should I be looking for?

rodeofan5656
01-16-2012, 10:15 AM
mind me askin how much you spent? they both look real good for the age, even with rusty tanks and a few issues. id fix the one on the right (without the flat tire) first and ride that around til you get the other one restored/runnin good too. give us some more info and we'll try to help much as we can!

Knobby Addict
01-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Tab was an even G'note. I also just came across an 84 Big red today, complete running $600. She is gonna end up in my new pile of toys. feels like a lot of $ but the kids will do OK without colege, right?

JJMF1979
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
good buy!! maybe just a tad high but still good

350XJEDI
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
:Dthe 85 sx are a real goog bike , you could replace the bent forks on the one with 200x forks and have disc brake on the front ,also better susp, you did pretty good on the price , the big red if in good shape is worth 600$ but I'd try 550 just to see if he'll move a little , good luck:D:Bounce:Bounce:beer

Knobby Addict
01-17-2012, 03:14 AM
I may set up the SX with 200x forks. I'm sure I'll find a thread on how much effort for the swap.

rodeofan5656
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
i wish i had the money to do that. bein 17 and a senior in high skool, i barely have the time or money for the one trike i have. it sucks havin this addiction and not bein able to do anythin about it. ill definately buy more once i get outta college tho

moomba010
01-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't know if they have been sitting outside a lot, but you may want to check out your piston, and cylinder head... Sometimes when they sit for long periods of time in the elements and the spark plug isn't in... Water will leak into the cylinder and rust out your piston... Just a thought.....

Knobby Addict
01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Rodeofan,
All in good time! I was a "certified" oil changer at Jiffy lube in H.S.(just means I wore the shirt with a patch) and hated EVERY minute spent in educational institutions. Settled on mechanic school to pay the bills, got an aircraft mechanics license then engineer school, then management school, then grad school... In the end it was worth it. Now I surf the internet posting about and looking for old three wheelers that my kids will probably toss when I'm gone. I figure I earned it. Still hated every minute spent in educational institutions but now only have to fix what I want to...crusty old three wheelers!