PDA

View Full Version : Honda 185s motor issue

Honda_ATC
01-17-2012, 03:09 AM
My buddys and I all ride 185s and we know quite a bit about them. How ever I got a few questions, first off my friend bought an 81 185s in MINT shape great runner.. however when it gets to high rpms she likes to pop and back fire, first thought to me was a carb or timing issue, changed the carb out with mine and still had the problem, then checked the timing all was good there. A little stumped on this one, my final thought was a bad cam not allowing the valves to open all the way? what do you guys think? Secondly I have a buddy whos also got an 81 185s and she only smokes ALOT( i mean it seems like the woods its on fire!!) a mid range rpms ONLY! Im thinking valves/head issue and yes it has good compression what are your thoughts?? thanks guys :D

nyshawn
01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
i had a similar problem with my 93 warrior it was popping and back firing when i got on the throttle turns out the intake manifold had a crack in it, i personally have never worked on a honda 3 wheeler but it couldnt hurt to check.

drivetime
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Check to see if the carb has gasket issues either after or before the carb and also check the neck peice where it connects to the motor.
Have you tried seeing if does the same thing with choke on?

let us know