PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use this service for boring/honing?

atc350xer
01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I have a cylinder or 2 that I'd like to get bored/honed. Is this a good deal? Can anyone else here do better on price?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290529498971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Scootertrash
01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Local guy I use charges 60.00 per single cylinder, then I have to add 6.87% tax on top of that ,and drive to drop it off and pick it up.

200x350xtriz250
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Local guy here does it for $30 - I drop off and pick up. Shop is called the Grenade Factory in Gastionia, NC. Here's his website with some pricing on other work and his contact info.

http://grenadefactory.com/pages/5/index.htm

atc350xer
01-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Local guy here does it for $30 - I drop off and pick up. Shop is called the Grenade Factory in Gastionia, NC. Here's his website with some pricing on other work and his contact info.

I'm sure they do good work, but "Grenade Factory" is NOT a good name for a business that works on motors! :lol:

Scootertrash
01-19-2012, 10:51 AM

That is a great deal!! Unfortunately there aren't many shops up here that do this kind of work.

I should have been clearer in my post:
The 60.00 is for boring, Honing starts at 5.00 for a deglazing hone and goes up from there depending on amount of materail honed, nikasil, etc, etc

300rman
01-19-2012, 02:06 PM
well, just remember. Cheap out on machine work, you're gonna get a cheap job. at 30 bucks, the machinist is getting about 10 bucks an hour.....sorry, an experienced machinist isnt going to work for 10 bucks an hour.

Expect to pay about $60 or so for a Bore, Hone, Deburr, and Bridge Relief. And make sure the machinist uses a " Torque Plate" during the process. This is a thick plate that bolts on and simulates the cylinder head being installed during all the boring and honing operations. It stresses the cylinder to ensure its ROUND when all is said and done and the real cylinder head is bolted on. Its a very big deal if you want maximum power and longevity.

Dirtcrasher
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
I think I paid 75$ at my local Honda dealer.......

200x350xtriz250
01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Well guys - I have had 4 4-stroke cylinders bored by the Grenade Factory - all are still running perfectly. I contacted 4 local dealers when I needed the first of my cylinders bored - each and everyone told me to go directly to the Grenade Facorty, because that is where they sent all of their cylinders. The owner/machinist is a former east coast Kawasaki service rep. He also built some killer motors for Yamaha back in the 80's. At the peak of the Grenade Factory he was boring every cylinder for 50 dealers in the Charlotte, NC area - he chose to scale back. As for the name, it is a comical play on words...thought that would have been obvious. I am a machinist by trade and was able to observe him work on a couple of my cylinders - he knows what he's doing. Don't want to take my word for it, call him up and chat with him...or don't. I was only trying to open a door for those intersted - if you have to ship, it may not be be worth it. 300rman - who takes 3 hours to bore one cylinder? Last time I was there I spent almost 2 hours just BSin' with the owner after the 1/2 hour it took him to do the job - bore, hone & clean - only spent the $30, guess that comes out to $60 per hour if you count just the work - $12 if you count the BSin' too.

Scootertrash
01-24-2012, 12:07 AM
I don't think anyone is sayin they don't believe you. I posted what I pay up here in MN. I've been using the guy since 1985, never had a problem, and he's relatively close, and I really haven't bothered to look for another guy. Most of the dealers and shops here take their stuff to him, he's never hurtin for work. It would probably cost me 20.00 in shipping to get round trip to your guy, (just a guess, I didn't take the time to figure it to the penny) so now I'm up to $50.

I schnorked when I saw the name Grenade Factory. I get it. I like it. :D

Maybe 30.00 a cylinder is the going rate around there? If someone in my area was doing it for 30 a cylinder, I would have heard about it and checked it out by now. There are going to be regional differences in price. The labor rate at my machinist is 75.00 per hour.

Just out of curiosity, what does your local Honda Dealer charge per hour for their shop labor rate? The one closest to me is at 90.00/hr.

200x350xtriz250
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't think anyone is sayin they don't believe you. I posted what I pay up here in MN. I've been using the guy since 1985, never had a problem, and he's relatively close, and I really haven't bothered to look for another guy. Most of the dealers and shops here take their stuff to him, he's never hurtin for work. It would probably cost me 20.00 in shipping to get round trip to your guy, (just a guess, I didn't take the time to figure it to the penny) so now I'm up to $50.

I schnorked when I saw the name Grenade Factory. I get it. I like it. :D

Maybe 30.00 a cylinder is the going rate around there? If someone in my area was doing it for 30 a cylinder, I would have heard about it and checked it out by now. There are going to be regional differences in price. The labor rate at my machinist is 75.00 per hour.

Just out of curiosity, what does your local Honda Dealer charge per hour for their shop labor rate? The one closest to me is at 90.00/hr.

I have no idea what the dealer charges per hour...been years since I needed them for anything...gotta love the internet. My above post was not directed toward your comments...seemed to me at least one other poster got the idea this was some jack-off in his garage with no experience that is hacking on cylinders with some crappy tools, just support his crack habbit. Heaven forbid someone do a good job for a good price. Personally, I'm like you, I'd rather pay more to a local guy than mess with shipping to a cheaper place, but considering the first post asked "Can anyone else here do better on price?" I posted the info.

Scootertrash
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
I have no idea what the dealer charges per hour...been years since I needed them for anything...gotta love the internet. My above post was not directed toward your comments...seemed to me at least one other poster got the idea this was some jack-off in his garage with no experience that is hacking on cylinders with some crappy tools, just support his crack habbit. Heaven forbid someone do a good job for a good price. Personally, I'm like you, I'd rather pay more to a local guy than mess with shipping to a cheaper place, but considering the first post asked "Can anyone else here do better on price?" I posted the info.

Yup, I love the net. I save myself a lot of money buyin off the net.......sittin in my basement with a beer, so I'm savin money on gas too. Can't beat that for shoppin ;)

That Jack dude yer talkin about sounds like he'd have the motions down for a good hone job. :wondering :naughty: :lol: