PDA

View Full Version : engine crating and shipping??

tecatecrazy
11-11-2003, 11:44 PM
I know that this has been covered before but I was unable to track it down with the search. how do you guys ship engines? I plan on listing one on ebay soon and am unsure how to crate it, I was thinking about putting it in a plastic milk crate?.. any suggestions. I also like to post a fixed shipping fee on my auctions to save the hassle at the quction end and to also help pay for handleing. I was thinking that $65 would probably just about cover shipping it anywhere in the lower 48 states.. does this seem about right? thanks for the help guys. this should be an easy one for Howdy to answer. lol

Dirtcrasher
11-12-2003, 01:00 PM
I shipped an SX motor to California for about 90$ - very heavy and a 200S motor to Michigan for 65$. Both of then I handmade chipboard (OSBboard) crates with 2X3 corners and used 3" sheetrock screws to secure them - then I usually screw a piece of OSB inside against the motor to keep it from flopping around. If they have footpeg mounts on the bottom case sometimes I'll put a bolt right throught the bottom of the crate and into the motor threads - of course it takes some careful measuring to get it right. Takes a little time but it's the safest way. But if your not into all that a triple box setup works good too, just drain the oil or it'll be a disaster!

Howdy
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Go to your local dollar general and pickup a plastic tote and some zip tires. They have a few sizes to choose from. Get one that you can put about 1 1/2 of cardboard in the bottom. Put the motor in it and drill little holes around the top ( about every 3-4" ) and zip tie it shut. Just to cover your butt I would go $75-$85
Howdy

tecatecrazy
11-12-2003, 09:26 PM
thanks for the help guys

87 250SX
11-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Ive shipped some harley engines before the biggest UPS will ship is 70 pounds.

skippy
11-13-2003, 12:06 AM
i have used rubbermaid containers, with that hard blue insulation inside for padding.. and dropped off at a ups counter/terminal.. they sometimes bang ya the extra handling charge because of no cardboard.. but i last shipped a 250sx motor from maryland to florida for $100.00 thought it was alot, but was a heavy engine too...

TimSr
11-13-2003, 12:36 AM
What kind of engine are we talking about here, and is it complete or just a bottom end? Ive shipped several in the last two months, so have a little experience in this area.

84250r
11-13-2003, 01:05 AM
I shipped my 200X motor in a plastic tub. Great for something of that size. Only cost like $50 bucks to ship to ohio.

P.s. Tecatecrazy

I have plastic totes i would sell to you. Just let me know. Thanks

tecatecrazy
11-13-2003, 05:37 PM
this is for a complete 250 2 stroke engine from an suzuki lt