PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 200s Stator/alternator overcharging

cmenefee1029
01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
On my trike, tyhe alternator/staor is super overcharging...It runs like a champ but it blows the headlight bulb in seconds. I put a volt meter on the white and blue leads for the light and I am getting up to 18.1v!! Is there a resistor or rectifier I can put on the YELLOW hot wire coming from the alternator/stator to reduce the output? Any suggestions

jb2wheels
01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Do you have the tail light hooked up?
Are both the headlight and taillight bulbs the correct wattage?
The lights are the regulator - lose one and the other soon follows.
You shouldn't need this unless somebody upgraded your lighting coil without telling you but it will take care of the problem:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/73/254/1156/-/-/234344/Trail-Tech-AC-Voltage-Regulator?ref=gmc&gclid=CIPzw4fy2a0CFcJeTAodyz5fiA

cmenefee1029
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I have not checked the tail light yet...So if one is out then the other will follow? I'll install NEW light bulbs in both and see what happens. I just got this 200s about two weeks ago and not sure about any upgrades. When I got it , it had NO headlight assembly at all.And thanks for the link!

Howdy
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
If you replace the bulbs they more than likely will blow out again. I have seen this many, many times in 22+ years of working on them. To stop this from happening I install a voltpack ( it's a aftermarket regulator ) to the system ( very easy, just 2 wires ). I sell these for $18 shipped via priority mail in the US ( while supplies last ). They are simular to the one in the link above. I try to ship within 24hrs of pmt ( Sat afternoon / Sunday exceptions ).
Howdy