PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200x Gasket Surfaces!

Honda200x.
01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Im currently doing a top end rebuild on my 200x it had a stock bore and I sent it out and got it .20 over and got everything to match it, new gaskets ect. But I was just wondering I took 220 grit sandpaper to my gasket surfaces and it looks really good will this be ok it's not rounded or anything just lightly sanded. And just to add my bike is completely stock. i hope it wasn't a bad idea to do that.

350XJEDI
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
not sure if it was a good idea but it prob. wont hurt ..

atc007
01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Absolutely fine,and it gives the new gaskets a little tooth to bite too. This would get posted in the Trikesylvania forum : ) Welcome

Honda200x.
01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks so much!

Honda200x.
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
And just to make sure. I don't think i did but if i sanded a little much in places it wouldn't hurt right?

Scootertrash
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a piece of an old granite counter top I use to flat sand my gasket surfaces sometimes. That way everything stays flat. I worked in deburring in a machine shop many many years ago and this was one of the ways we deburred and/or cleaned up flat surfaces on parts.
Lay down a piece of sandpaper, take your part and do a few figure 8's, give the part a quarter turn and repeat. Remember to keep your pressure as even as possible, doing figure 8's helps with this aspect. Going front to back or side to side it's very easy to develop uneven pressure. I don't do it often, but the few times I've done it I haven't had any negative results. You just have to remember you are only doing it for fine tuning purposes and light clean up, not taking off huge amounts of material.
Flat sanding eliminates over-sanding in one area because you are sanding the complete part at once, not slowly working your way around a part with a sanding block or your fingers

Dirtcrasher
01-19-2012, 02:09 PM
A hunk of granite soaked with WD40 on emery cloth is a safe bet.

I use the fine side of a machinists stone and even pressure with WD40 myself, you can watch the high spots go away. I never have oil leaks......

You seem like you feel you put a bit too much pressure in some places. You'll find out soon enough, or copper coat the gasket surfaces, although I'd use Hondabond/3bond etc etc.