PDA

View Full Version : 250sx Rear Brake Drum

DeRider
01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello All, Need help getting the rear brake drum removed from a 1986 250sx thats probably never been off. I have been successful in removing the hub ( was super tight ) and the outer cover but have not been able to get the drum off. I have both the brake cables removed from the brake arm, axle spins free. I attempted to pull the drum with a gear puller by placing the 3 fingers in the drum itself. Sadly I ended up breaking one of the fingers with so much torque placed on the drum. Is there an automatic adjuster on this like an automobile has that needs to be let off? Does a torch/heat help this process? Any suggestions appreciated..... Rich

dustrunner
01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
hi , its a job but ive had success with alot of spray, keep shooting it with spray for as long as you can stand it ( days to let it soak in ) then heat the brake drum where it mates to the flange. when you heat metal it grows and the flange will be cooler and it should pop off with alot of elbow grease . keep tapping the drum in the flange area and i use big screwdrivers to pry it off . but your gonna wanna keep tapping at it with a hammer to get the flange seperated from the flange .. good luck.

DeRider
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
All Righty then, I guess it's gonna be spray for a while. Thanks Alot. I see you're from Finger Lakes, I grew up in Owego,N.Y. Rich

dustrunner
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
ah. thats cool, i used to work at ibm in owego back in 89' yes, good luck and let us know how u make out ..

DeRider
01-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Still attempting to remove. Have sprayed penetrating oil for several days now, have attempted heating it with disposable torch a few times, still no move. Going to take it to a friends soon that has a big boy torch. Gonna heat it good and hope to get it loose.

andersonee4
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
this may sound stupid, but it took me a second to see it. The two screws that hold it on, were seized up on mine, i had to drill the heads of the screws out. I'm sure you have removed them, but i don't know that.

dustrunner
02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
yes, u do... so how did u make out ??

KZFlames
02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I have never had luck heating a siezed part with a propane torch. Not enough heat. I always found acetylene to be more effective