PDA

View Full Version : 86 honda 250r dont hit like it should. help PLEASE.

86ATC 250r
01-23-2012, 11:47 PM
i am new to this site but i searched the net and didnt really come up with any answers. it has stock pipe and the whole machine is basicly stock. it fires up first or second kick everytime even cold start in winter and idles but when ya go to ride it the power band dont kick. only once in awhile and it still dont kick like it should. it jus dnt have that punch. it like cuts out. i got a carb rebuilt kit and set everything to stock specs. any info would be great. maybe some one had the same problem or knew some one who did and new exactly how to fix it.. and i have a 400ex and all my other freinds have quads or bikes so i dnt kno anyone with the same trike so i cant swap parts to see if any things fixes it. and i dnt wanna order electronic cause if that dnt fix the problem they are non returnable. thanks for your time.

Vealmonkey
01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Just cause you got a carb rebuild kit, it could be the wrong jetting for your trike. Did you try taking a compression test on the engine? It could be a ton of things.

Kenny_smallz
01-24-2012, 05:02 PM
the spark plug coil/??? swap it with your buddy's 400 ex should be the same

86ATC 250r
01-25-2012, 01:25 AM
really i did not kno that? i have a 400ex so i will try that. thanks. and i went with the carb kit cause i figured i hd to start somewhere. compression is good. but thanks. i will try that tomorrow and see if anything helps.

baycitysteve
01-25-2012, 07:31 PM
i sank a dirtbike in the winter then when i got it back home and dewatered it wouldn't run right , couldn't figure it out for a long while . come to find out
the silencer got pluged and it wouldn't get up on the power band but idled and run ok till you wanterd to get up on the pipe . maybe check that . ya never know ?

86ATC 250r
01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
thanks you guys. ima try the coil thing like i said i hope it works.. if not ill check pipe. i thot maybe crank bearing cause thats how my yz 250 ran when the crank bearing went but everything is tight in the motor.. thanks again

ktm one
01-25-2012, 09:47 PM
It sounds silly but hows the air filter?

86ATC 250r
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
its not new but good. all the suggestions im getting im checking tomorrow if i have time before work. thanks guys

86ATC 250r
01-27-2012, 01:54 AM
well the float was all messed up so got that fixed changed jets around a bit and then it was smoking bad and couldnt figure out why. here the crank seal was bad so replaced that. will find out more tomorrow when can take it for alittle rip to see if things are fixed. well keep an update.

jason0779
01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Hello all.

I'm new to this site and i'm new to two strokes. My uncle gave me a 85 250R and I'm restoring the whole thing. It is almost completely done except i'm waiting on a coil to show up and I haven't put the gas tank or exhaust on yet. Quick question. I went to kick the motor over just to move the piston up and down through the cylinder some and I noticed oil coming from the exhaust. Is this normal?? Once again i'm new to the two strokes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry wasn't really sure where to post.

86ATC 250r
01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
well got mine fixed. i think. lol. went over everything electric and seemed fine. but still wasnt running right. so changed head gasket and now it seems to work fine. hopefully thats all it was. crazy went ya cant figure it out. it drives ya nutz...

86ATC 250r
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
thanks again for all the help and suggestions.