PDA

View Full Version : my 1983-1984 yamaha tri moto yt125 prodject starting point :D

nyshawn
01-25-2012, 04:02 AM
this is the condition i bought my trike at i paid $150 looking back should have paid like $100 but thats over now, i have bought all yamaha genuin parts including 2nd over size pistion, rings, wrist pin, all new topend gaskets, and carb float valve assy. when i got it all the parts were there and all were original minus the float valve and needle and tires. right now i have it runing perfectly its just not in good cosmetic condition i plan to have it sanded and painted this weekend its very time consuming taking all that camo paint off, any tips to taking the paint off without a belt sander? oh last but not least i really need some advise on what to do about my choke cable the pull nob is broke and the cable rusted solid
i dont really want the choke cable just a nob to pull out thats on the choke like the yamaha warrior has. so far i have $340 in my trike incuding what i bought it for. going to put another $30 in it and i should be finished!!!!:D

rodeofan5656
01-25-2012, 09:51 AM
awhile back, when i was in grade school, i had a little atc90 painted camo just like that, but it had a black seat. aahhhh, the memories of my first trike.......

nyshawn
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
This is my first trike as well my dad wouldn't let me get one when I was younger because he saw his friend die on a three wheeler but I've always been around four wheelers and dirtbikes since I was 9 but three wheelers in my mind are better for muddy rough Terran where four wheelers are to big and heavy to get threw and dirtbikes aren't stable enough for. I love my tri moto yt125 and i plan on buying another ATC very soon I think either a tri z or 250r!

ironslavery
01-27-2012, 02:03 AM
It's in better shape then my 125! but mine was free... I think it will be a month or two before it's up and running though. I have to rebuild the top end for sure, the reed valves might need to be replaced as they dont sit flat. New tubes for everything, new brake line, front light setup, entire air box setup (everything past the carb is missing), body restore, missing front wheel well too. It's gonna take a while and this will be my first ATV. I've never owned any ATV or motocycle. probably will need new wiring as well. the seat only has a few small tears, I may just try to sew it up.

Since it's a shoddy job without a hard coat the paint on your trike should come right off with paint remover. It should come up pretty easily. You could try a heat gun as well but it requires experience to do it right. You essentially bake the paint until it flakes off and it should renew your plastic as well.