PDA

View Full Version : Having 250sx carb problems.

chevman51
01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
I bought a 1985 Honda 250sx a couple months ago. I have only ridden it 3 times. It ran but not good. Leaking gas under the carb when I would ride it. I took the tank off cleaned and coated it. Repaired and cleaned the petcock. New fuel lines and rebuilt the carb with a kit. I put it all back together and now the gas pours out the bottom of carb. Gas also comes out that black rubber tube on the side of carb and pours out onto the air filter filling the air box. I'm sure I got all the parts from the kit in right. I used the manual to figure out where all the rubber o rings go and etc. I felt pretty confident in the rebuild. Now I'm pretty discouraged.What should I look for when I pull the carb back off? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

zainyD
01-26-2012, 09:32 AM
There is a bleeder screw on the underside of the bowl where the gas is pouring out. Either the screw is not tightened enough or the rubber o-ring on it needs to be replaced. Good luck.

chevman51
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Here's an update on my carb. I tore it back down this weekend. Blew air threw all the ports and reassembled. The only thing I found wrong is the float level is suppose to be at 18.5mm and mine is at 21mm. I put the carb back on the trike and as soon as I turned the petcock to on the gas started overflowing out the rubber tubes. I taped on the bowl of the carb and it stop. I started it up and ran good. No leaking gas. I do not have the air box on yet and notice some raw gas coming out the tube that would connect to air box. Why is there raw gas coming out? Is it because of the float level? Thanks for any info.

Jason125m
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Are you SURE you cleaned under the float needle and the float properly????????? I just cleaned my buddys carb who had the same problem, and it fixed it.

chevman51
02-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, the float needle is new and under it is spotless. The plastic float looks to be a little worn. I think I might buy a new one just to eliminate that. If I do that then besides the carb housing it self everything inside is new.

STiForester
02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
If it doesn't work I have a few carbs for sale.

STiForester
02-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Pm me or email me mista_planters@yahoo.com

chevman51
04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Last night I finally solved my carb problems!!!! YAY!!! :) I bought a brand new float which solved everything except a small leak coming from drain hole at bottom of carb. That really stumped me. But the brass over flow tube that attaches in the bowl was cracked very slightly at the base making the carb have a drip. Thanks everybody for your imput!