PDA

View Full Version : ATC250ES kickstart problem (one-way clutch?)

TheRadBaron
01-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm working on getting a really nice (but neglected) '85 ATC250ES back to running condition. When I got it the kickstarter worked about half of the time, but the other half of the time the kicker just sort of "freewheeled" when the lever went down. I could feel that the lever was spinning something that had at least some mass, so I ruled out the kickstarter itself simply not engaging.
I needed to take the clutch cover off to fix some leaky oil seals, so I was able to take a look at what was happening with the kicker mechanism while I was in there. Just as I though, the kicker was spinning both the plate clutch and the centrifugal clutch, but about half of the time it wasn't actually spinning the crankshaft.
I'm not really familiar with the way the whole system comes together. Looking at the factory manual that I got from this site, I can see that there's a one-way clutch that connects the centrifugal clutch to the crankshaft and I imagine that therein lies the problem.
I haven't taken the centrifugal clutch apart yet to investigate. Is this a common problem? If so, is there an easy fix or something that I should be looking for? Thanks.

TheRadBaron
01-26-2012, 09:54 PM
If any mods are reading this, could you please move it to the "new member discussion" area? I didn't mean to post it in member commencement. Thanks.