PDA

View Full Version : how does the cylinder boring process work?

ironslavery
01-27-2012, 06:49 AM
I tried to do a search but I keep getting a database error so I will just post. seeing as how my piston is scratched up pretty bad from what I can see through the intake port I am going to have to overhaul the engine. my question is how should I go about this? do I just buy an oversized piston and when I get it take it to the machine shop and have them bore it to match? or should I bore the cylinder and then buy a matching sized piston?

thanks!

atc500x
01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Mesure the cylinder to order the right piston for your cylinder,buy the piston and bring it to the machine shop,they will bore the cylinder to match the new piston

rodeofan5656
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
im not sure how the wording works with these smaller engines, but from my automotive experience......
-an overhaul is the rebuildin/replacin of one of the two: either the top end (heads, intake, etc.) or bottom end (crank, main bearings, etc.)
-a rebuild is when you pull everythin apart and replace all the smaller parts with new ones (valves, piston and rings, bearings, etc.), using the same block and larger parts (crankshaft, block, etc.)
please correct me if im wrong. this is just what i was taught