PDA

View Full Version : 250 Big Red one way clutch problem

TheRadBaron
01-27-2012, 11:46 PM
My '85 ATC250ES has a problem with the one way clutch for the kickstarter. When I got the trike the kicker would only work about half the time, the other half of the time it would just freewheel. I took the clutch cover off and determined that the problem was in the one-way clutch.
The first thing that I realized was wrong was the the LH thread nut that hold the centrifugal clutch assembly on was loose and coming off. I pulled the centrifugal clutch off and took the one-way clutch out. It fell apart when it came out. All the little rollers came out of the cage. It doesn't seem like there's anything damaged, but everything that I can find seems to say that the one way clutch is supposed to be an assembly that stays together. Anyone have any insight?

TheRadBaron
01-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Well, I kind of answered my own question. I found a bunch of small spring bits in the oil screen and I at first though that they had come from an oil seal. Then I realized that the spring was supposed to be around the one way clutch mechanism. So that's probably a big part of the problem. Anyone have one for sale?

RIDE-RED 250r
01-28-2012, 09:24 AM
You may also want to change that one-way bearing in the clutch hub. That is usually the cause of the problem you are having.

TheRadBaron
01-28-2012, 09:48 AM
I think that we're talking about the same part. It's the thing that looks sort of like a caged roller bearing. Hopefully once I change it out my kicker will work right.