PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Yamaha 225dx

maxdallasfan
01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi all,
I just picked up a 84 ytm 225dx. Ok shape, but it has no spark. So, I decided to get a new cdi box off of ebay. I haven't gotten it yet, but I hope it works. I was also wondering if anyone knows other parts that would prevent it from not getting any spark. I have a new spark plug, and I guess i'll go from there.

Does anyone have a spare choke cable they would like to sell? I live in PA and my zipcode is 18951.
Thanks

muthey
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
before you get the cdi you can do a check on your stator, to see if you are getting voltage, and amperage to the cdi. also check the grounds to see if you have a faulty ground or a wire shorting causing an involuntary ground. you can also do an ohm check on your coil to see if it is bad as well as trim about an 1/8 - 1/4" off of the wire going to the spark plug cap where it screws to the cap to get some fresh connection. Here is a link to a manual for you to look at for your wiring diagrams, so you have a better explanation plus pictures than I can give to you. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ You can check with your local dealership and see if there are still choke cables available. Last time I looked 7 months ago at mine they were still out there for about 56$, also note that yamaha calls it a starter cable, so in case you have someone who is not good with parts diagrams they will have the correct name to look for.

maxdallasfan
01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks! I'll run through those checks.

Here are the pics:

muthey
01-31-2012, 11:07 AM
a little rough but it looks to almost complete great score, and if you feel that you want back mudflaps, let me know I have two sets laying around.

muthey
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
also if you disconnect the keyed ignition it will still run, just no electric start or neutral light, head and tail lights run off of stator so they will still work, I also recommend taking the kill switch apart and checking for corrosion in there and trying it with out the keyed ignition on the off chance you have a broken wire causing it to ground.

maxdallasfan
01-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks man, I'll most likely want those if I get it to run. Right now, it looks like the wires for the electric start and the neutral light are cut, and just hanging there. I'll prob. tape them up and see if the pull start works with the new CDI.

oldtime3wheeler
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Have you gone over to Larry's cycle repair to look for any parts you may need?

muthey
02-01-2012, 01:02 AM
you know it may sound silly but it happens to the best of us have you checked and replaced the main fuse yet it is under the seat in a lil black cylinder. just a thought as I had to replace mine when I first bought my dx. I just thought of it, we never really mention it, because we always assume that people have checked and or replaced them but I wonder how often we overlook that.

maxdallasfan
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I got the new cdi. New spark plug. New fuse. Now it has spark (fist pump!). However, the sucker still won't start. Sounds like she wants to, but just wont kick over. My pull start cord hangs out about 10 inches or so. And after I pull it, it sometimes doesn't want to coil all the way back in. Could this be a problem?

Any ideas on what else I should do? Relay? Stator? Starter? Carb badly gunked up? BTW, the lights don't work, but I don't know if it's due to bad bulbs or a bad stator. I think I might need oldtime3wheeler to come take a look. :-)

segers200s
02-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Ddefinitely clean carb if it has been sitting before u spend any more money good luck

muthey
02-02-2012, 04:14 AM
x2 on carb clean, dont forget the fuel tank and lines. pull the pull starter and check to see how nasty it is, could just be it needs some greasing, also your lights won't come on unless it is running 225dx lights run only off of the stator, and if the trike isn't running neither will the lights. One last thing when you have cleaned the carb and you think it's clean do it again these mikuni's have way too many hiding spots for dirt lol

maxdallasfan
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I will give that a shot.

maxdallasfan
02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Lost spark. now what?

muthey
02-03-2012, 09:40 PM
well all I can say is go back through all of your connections and was the cdi oem and new or a used one, or aftermarket?

dksix
02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
When I got my 225 my rope wouldn't retract 100% 100% of the time. I went into it and cleaned it up, it helped but it still wasn't working all the time. I ended up having to put a washer in it to give it more room to spin without dragging against the housing. Maybe it is something you could look at.