PDA

View Full Version : Another 200x carb tuning question. I Know!!!

cod
01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Bike is stock other than filter and DG exhaust. Just installed the chepo 28mm carb and the idle is absolutley perfect. However, throttle response is poor. If you ease into the throttle all is well. If you get it over a quater and then nail it to wot its also great. Have already moved needle up one notch and changed the pilot to a smaller jet with no response. (Plug at wot is perfect). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Crazy McGee
01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
this might help.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/121443-What-mm-carb-is-on-a-stock-86-atc-200x

cod
01-31-2012, 11:51 PM
this might help.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/121443-What-mm-carb-is-on-a-stock-86-atc-200x

How?????? Would this help?

torque
02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
ya i know what you are thinking not another ebay carb thread. i hope this one is different. so ill start with a short story

my wife's gio 200 cc quad came stock with a imitation keihin carb. from brand new the gio never ran right so i bought a mikuni to replace it. pilot screw or needle adjustments never could correct the problems. hard starting poor bottom end performance or a stall or bog if you stab the throttle etc etc. these are all complaints that i read about these cheep carbs having, on this site.

just a couple of weeks ago i discovered that the cheepo carb would bolt in place of the stock 24mm carb on my 200x. hell the slides even interchange. so i started looking at the two carbs and the only difference that i could tell was the jets them selves.

so what if you could interchange the jets?
would the correct the problems?

the main keihin jet drops right in place. but the longer keihin pilot did not fit. the only thing stopping the the keihin pilot was was a brass insert, so i took the carb to the drill press and carefully drilled it out, and installed a genuine keihin pilot.

i installed the carb back on the gio today, and if fired right up better than when it was original. once the engine warmed up i had to lean the air screw way out. the only pilot i had lying around was a 42 so its probably 1 or 2 sizes to big.

i still have lots of tuning and testing but so far it looks promising. if this all works out i want to try a cheepo 26 or 28 mm ebay carb on my 200x.
this is alot of work and i still dont know if it fixes the problem. i gave up on this and just sold the quad. imo your best bet would be buy a used kiehin pd32a of off ebay.

i just did this swap myself. like you i had lot of trouble figuring out what manifold and carb to use. i ended up using honda part # 16210-KT0-000. this intake was from a xr200R, and got it straight from honda($23.00 i think). this intake has the correct angle and also has a larger I.D. the first intake i ordered was from a 83 xr200 the I.D. was larger but the angle was wrong.

carb
i got the carb from ebay. it was a used item but an original equipment kiehin carb from an 83 xr 200. the keihin # on this carb is pd32A. this carb has a larger bore slider26-27mm
this carb works great from just off idle to screaming though the top end. but i am having trouble at idle. the pilot screw is different than the original carb . i hope the problem is just a pilot jetting issue.
i think the correct carbs to use are
pd27A
pd28A
both from xr200r bikes

performance

my bike is stock except for a bassani exhaust system. the carb and intake add power from idle all the way through the rpm range right to top end. now i can wheelie in third gear. and pull through deep mud and snow in third or may be fourth gear and not run out of power. still have to mess with the idle, but so far the power that has been gained is worth it

cod
02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
so what if you could interchange the jets?
would the correct the problems?

Tried that already. Do you think that I may be getting to much air?

cod
02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Anybody else got any ideas? Also trying to get my ten posts in. Ha

Tyler Scruggs
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Ive got a 81 atc 200 with a 12:1 piston, ported and polished head and intake, 200x header with a ebay cheapo xr200 30mm carburetor. It initially ran like crap, I had to port match the carb to the intake, ran a little better. Also found out it would only go 3/4 thottle. So I had to notch the case for the thumb throttle to allow it to have more stroke to go full throttle. The jet that is in it was not stamped so I had no clue what it is but it was too lean. Started with a 105 main jet and as long as you were easy on the gas you can take it up to full throttle, but if you hammered it hard it would stumble. Now I've got 110 main jet its not bad, it's still on the lean side but it runs really good, top end is killer. Bottom end isnt as good as the stock carb but it will still pull the tire up easily with no problem. I think I will up with around a 115 jet.

yaegerb
02-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I think the stock main jet on a 28MM carb is a 138. If you only have a pipe and air filter I would have to ask why did you go with a bigger carb? Is it bored, stroked, head ported?

A 24MM carb (200x stock) with a re-jet to either a 118 to 115 main should work just fine.

If you decide to keep the 28MM carb, you may have some issues if none of the aforementioned work has been completed. Only other advice I could give is if your stock main was a 138 then I would try a 142 or 140 main. That may help you.