PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda ATC 350x, carb/throttle problem?

ChrisBigRed
02-02-2012, 04:52 AM
I have an 85' 350x that I recently had some work done to, new CDI Box,Brake Caliper, and Carb. Cleaned.
Here's where the problem comes in, when I got it out of the shop I started it up and it seemed to be running fine but when I reached full throttle at idle it would just die like it stopped getting gas? It only dies when idleing but if im riding it and get it to full throttle it bogs really bad, I tryed taking apart the carb. Cleaned it again, checked air filter. Pretty much everything I can think of. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Kenny_smallz
02-02-2012, 08:12 AM
not really sure but a couple of mine did this including my 350x, and when i took the carb apart the big jet had completely fell out so i don't know if yours had done this but im sure you would have seen it tho....

lilpiep
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Have you tried adjusting the air/fuel screw? How about a different sized main jet? Did it run good before the recent work was done?

ChrisBigRed
02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Lilpiep: Yes before I had work done to it it worked fine just bogged every now and again which is why I got the carb. cleaned. I have tryed adjusting the air/fuel it still dies but makes a louder noise before dying. I have not tryed a different size jet yet. It sounds like it just stops getting fuel completely at full throttle..

lilpiep
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Do you have any modifications on the 3 wheeler as far as pipe, filter, or bored out at all? I think stock main jet is 138, and if there are any modifactions you might need to go to like a 142 or 145, just guessing. You could also try adjusting the needle position?

lilpiep
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I've also worked on some carbs that I could never get right. I could soak them, completely rebuild them, swap parts off of carbs that came off good running machines and never get them running good. I dont know it there's something that wears out on the body of the carb or what the problems were, but it would get to the point where i'd have so much time and money in them that I could just get a decent used one that works good.

dksix
02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Why did you have a new CDI installed if it was running fine? Is the CDI new OEM? Did they give you back the old CDI? If it's not an OEM I would try swapping it back onto the the bike and see if that returns the bike to the way it was before. Have you talked to the shop who did the work about the bike being in worse condition now than when you took it to them?

ChrisBigRed
02-02-2012, 06:09 PM
The reason I got a new CDI box was because it took forever too start. The shop said they would see if it needed the valves adjusted but they did that and still took forever too start. They checked the spark and found out the CDI was bad. I do believe its OEM. I have talked to the shop and they said they would have to look at it but I already put 500$ into it so I don't have to put more $ into it.