PDA

View Full Version : my YT125 started... but now it's dead again.

ironslavery
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I got it to start with some starter fluid and it ran for about 10 seconds and then it died. I also broke the pull chord and the spring came out while I was reinstalling. so 2 hours later I get it all together and now it won't start again. It sounded good those precious few seconds I got it to run though. I took the carb out and cleaned everything again. Adjusted the float because there was gas coming out of the overflow. reset the air mix screw to 1 1/2 turns out. I pulled the plug out sprayed starter fluid on it and yanked the chord and it promptly lit up. but the dang thing won't start.

I measured the ignition coil using a different manual. 1 Ohm at the wire (good) and 88 kOhms at the plug (bad) the plug should have 7.5 kOhms :confused:... I need to get a new plug on the way home. Took the exhaust off and black liquid which I assume was fuel came pouring out of it.
since the float didn't do it's job could it have come from there, or was the fuel just not burning while it ran and only ran on the starter fluid? I am beginning to hate this.

edit: got a new plug... still won't start.

ironslavery
02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
well... the engine keeps flooding.

just ben
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
well... the engine keeps flooding.is fuel still coming out the overflow? I have a coil if you want to pay for the shipping

ironslavery
02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
got a coil a few hours ago... still wont start. fuel wasn't coming out of the overflow anymore. After i emptied the engine out this morning and let it sit, i adjusted the float and put on the new coil. she started up but wouldn't idle. after I let it throttle for a few seconds I turned it off and adjusted the float. Now it won't start again.

So I got it to start 3 times so far. The first time It sit for a couple of days and used ether and it started but died before I could give it gas put the exhaust back on and went to bed for the day. woke up to a huge puddle from the carb overflow and i had left the petcock on. The second time I put new bolts on the head, new spark plug, adjusted the float and drained the fuel out of the engine. It started(with ether), Idled and ran fine. Turned it off with the kill switch. came back an hour later and yanked till my arm hurt. It wouldn't start and the engine was flooded again. this morning I drained the fuel out and adjusted the float a little too much and it wouldn't idle when it did start. so I adjusted the float again and the dang thing wont start again. not even with ether.

so what i am thinking is... what could make it flood only when it runs?

just ben
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
the pilot jet is higher in the carb body so if you adjusted the float too much the fuel wont get high enough to reach the pilot and cause the starting/idle problems

ironslavery
02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
I figured that... I am still trying to figure the flooding issue. Could a worn pin cause enough flow to make the engine flood yet still run?

Update... took everything off and checked for flooding... dry. Tried to start it without ether and it tried... 2 pulls and it pushed a couple of cranks out and then nothing. Good ignition coil installed now. Other components ohmed good IAW manual except of course the CDI which I do not think is stock.

RubberSalt
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
alright, heres whats up.

1st Your engine is flooded, gas/oil is in the crank case. Stand it up with the reeds open to drain it, flip it upside down with out the plug and crank it over, something to get the gas out.

2nd, your flooding because your needle and seat are not seating. Take a q-tip and some tooth past and lap the seat. If it's an original needle, its probably worn.

3rd, if it's fired up before, it will fire again, spark is probably not your issue. Make sure it sparks at the tip and has a .027 gap. Wet plugs dont fire well, keep it clean and dry.

4th, it's a 2 stroke, these are prone to leaks. They make then run lean and hot and hard to start. Do a leak down test. Pressurize crankcase/cylinder to about 7psi. You'll need to cap the exhaust and intake, 1 of the caps will need a shradder valve(valve stem for tire). After adding pressure, check all gaskets/mating pieces for leaks with soapy water. Do a search on how to do a leak down for more info.

ironslavery
02-07-2012, 11:57 PM
No more flooding. I was able to push start it and ride it around for the first time. It ran great with smooth power across the band, except it won't idle. All 5 gears shift fine and she has promise. It now burps at me when I yank the starter the first 2 times, but nothing after that. I let it sit for a while and it will burp again. It won't Idle and I have to keep the choke open and finger on the throttle or it will die. the float is set at 21mm from the float bowl mating service with the gasket removed to the top of the float IAW yt125 condensed service manual pg 374 Index Y4-6 but I am unsure about that It does not specify where the measurement should actually start. The pilot valve is clear but I have not cleaned it properly with carb cleaner. The float moves smooth and free. The inlet pin and seat is clean and does not look worn. Aside from cleaning the pilot valve again I am unsure where to go with this.

nyshawn
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
i have a yt125 and i have the air/fuel screw 2 1/2 turns and mine runs great, that is probably why you can only push start it or your compressons low.

ironslavery
02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
I figured it out, Had to turn the Idle adjuster all the way in. I then pulled the string and She started first pull, backed it out about 3/4 turn and it is golden. She doesn't die even when I put it in gear!. SHES ALIVE!!!!