PDA

View Full Version : Broke a screw off in valve cover

gkb7921
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
141154Here is my new rig, 87 250es. Today I changed front schock boots and Was attempting to change an O-ring on rocker arm when bad news happened. I broke a screw off in the damn cyinder head. I think the last person to get into the thoses screws didnt use a torque wrench. All the others came loose. So my question is now how much you think honda is gonna take me for to tap that screw out? anyone experience similar situation? Since it is the valve cover i cleaned the hole real well and filled it with high temp sealant. It might work but if not its going to shop. The bike is in great shape otherwise. whatcha think guysw?

RIDE-RED 250r
02-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Did the screw brake off flush with the hole or is there enough protruding out to get on it with some vice-grips?

If you can get on it with vice grips, I would remove the fuel tank, carefully heat the head adjacent to the hole with a propane torch and see if you can extract it. If it's broken off flush or down inside, you are looking at drilling and a NOT-so-easyout.

Or you could remove the cylinder head and take it to a machine shop to extract the bolt. A descent machine shop will likely be alot cheaper than taking it to a Honda dealer. Extracting a broken bolt is child's play to a machine shop, but a Honda dealer will probably charge you a hour labor which is usually around $65.

dustrunner
02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
ya, i would drill it out , but u hafta use the correct bit and tap and not drill 2 deep. take a smaller drill bit and put it into the other hole and measure how deep the hole is and put a piece of tape on the drill bit your going to use and drill it out, then retap it and trailprotrailpro done. sounds hard , but once u do it a few times , its easy.

coolpool
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
This might help. It's from the "World Class Help Section" in Trykesylvania. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/100071-Broken-bolt-extraction-the-Team-Heat-amp-Beat-way!

gkb7921
02-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Well the screw broke off mid way so I can prob get it out with vice grip. If not ill take to a machine shop. Honda is pricey.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Well the screw broke off mid way so I can prob get it out with vice grip. If not ill take to a machine shop. Honda is pricey.

Like I said, heat the hole with a propane torch. Don't go crazy with it, but it should give you your best chance at it.