PDA

View Full Version : My first 3 wheeler

J.R.
02-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Just picked up a Honda ATC off craigslist for $150. It runs strong and has fairly new tires but needs some work. The main things it needs are...

- muffler.
- kick start conversion maybe.
- front brake handle.
- governor hooded back up.
- I would like to change over to a thumb throttle from the twist throttle (personal preference).
- general clean up.

I got this to just mess around in the yard/neighborhood with so I won't be taking it hunting or going too crazy with, just a fun toy.

The main things I need help with are identifying it, year make model. I was told it is a 200 but what model and year is it? I can't find a data plate on it. The other thing I need help with is what does the governor leaver on the top of the head hook too and how? Right now it runs balls out and will flip over with just a small twist of the throttle. Also is it possible to swap over to a kick start from the pull start that is on it now and if so what do I need? The chords keep rubbing on the same spot and snapping the pull chord.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1917.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1916.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1915.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1914.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1913.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1912.jpg

dustrunner
02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
looks like a 1983 honda 185s to me. look at the engine, under that black rattle can paint job up in the jug ( by the spark plug but maybe on the other side of the engine ) there should be a # like 182cc or 198cc. it is and always will be pull start ! originally there was a sticker below the handlebars on the frame , in front of the tank that had the year, make , model.. the arm at the top of the head is a decompression release ! good luck......

dksix
02-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a tank like that, does anyone know what it is?

J.R.
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
So am I missing a cable or something that hooks to the decompression release?

wisconsinite
02-05-2012, 07:37 PM
So am I missing a cable or something that hooks to the decompression release?

some of the compression release levers had cables, some not. depends on model. it just flips up and holds the exhaust open a bit till you get the motor spinning, making it easier to pull. if you haven't been using it, that may be why you keep breaking recoil ropes.

also, don't let the tires fool you. trailpro's never really wear out, they could be 25 yrs old and have a million miles on them :lol:

shawnroy1971
02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
More Trailpro's!!! lol,nice find.

J.R.
02-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Will the parts from a 200 work on my 185? I still haven't found any serial/vin/or CC numbers on it but everything I have seen online points to 124356q being right about it being a 1983 185s.

The main things I am looking at are a muffler (haven't found any new but there are a few used on ebay) and a thumb throttle and new carb (also on ebay for a decent price). I just want to make sure that a 200 carb will work on a 185 and won't be too much like putting a 850cfm carb on an engine that only requires a 600cfm.

Kenny_smallz
02-05-2012, 10:49 PM
i don't think i've ever seen a tank like that, does anyone know what it is?i have come across one of these tanks,, but only once its very different

Kenny_smallz
02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
THE "CC" SHOULD BE UNDER THE CARB ON SIDE OF THE CYLINDER, THIS COULD BE A 185s OR A 200s, NICE FIND. EVERYONE I HAVE FOUND NEVER EVEN HAD THAT CABLE BUT MOST OF THEM HAD JUST THE HAND LEVER WHERE YOU MOVE IT YOURSELF. THESE ARE THE SIMPLEST LITTLE 3 WHEELERS EVER. THE CARBS ARE THE SAME 185 AND 200 AS FAR AS I KNOW.

Kenny_smallz
02-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Wow i keep lookin back at the pics and this thing is so dif than the ones i find like the head light and the shifter and the tank and you said it has a twist throttle? I have seen only one with that lol this is cool find.

Kenny_smallz
02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
The motor is black too dang its so dif.

J.R.
02-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Some one attacked this thing with a few spray bombs and did no prep work before hand. I managed to scrape away a few coats of black paint and just barley made out "1983 185S" on what was left of the decal. I ebayed the hand brake lever and mount, and a thumb throttle with cable. I will keep all the parts I take off or swap just in case someone wants to restore it someday. The one thing I am looking for now is a muffler that is under $100! I may end up welding up a custom one because the stock pipe and muffler are both shot because someone thought they knew how to weld...

The tank is plastic and has about 4 coats of red spray paint on it.

atc350xer
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Try the classified here before you resort to ebay... lots of times members here will give you better parts at better prices.

Jason125m
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Is that shifter welded to the end of the shift shaft?

J.R.
02-05-2012, 11:30 PM

No, there is a set screw in the bottom.

falloutboy
02-06-2012, 12:25 AM
It sounds like you are on the right path. keep up the good work. From the looks of that tank, you could go all year on a tank full of gas. :D

J.R.
02-06-2012, 08:45 PM
So While I am waiting for all the parts I ordered to get here so i can ride this thing and cause all sorts of hate and discontent around my neighborhood I decided to take a look at the wire harness....or what was left of it!

You would think that with what, only 6 wires on the whole bike that they wouldn't need a whole roll of electrical tape.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1922.jpg

The headlight worked but was on its way out. I have these accessory lights sitting in the top of my tool box for a few years now so I will give them a shot. The spiffy brackets that held on the other light will get straitened so the lights are aimed. Just one of these lights hooked up to a 12v battery will blind you and light up the whole neighborhood hooked up to a 6v they are still super bright so we will see what happens.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1924.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1923.jpg

RubberSalt
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Get a Harley muffler and weld it on!

hoosierlogger
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I think I may have a muffler and head pipe in the shed. Ill look tomorrow.

My muffler is crap. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

atc350xer
02-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I have a muffler and header with heat shield on it too, if you still need one.

steve.caplin77
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Like thiseffort to make this homemade 3 wheeler bike..

J.R.
02-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I will let you guys know. I think I found an old supertrapp that I am going to see how bad the disks are. I may end up splitting it and welding in my own baffles depending on how bad it is. Right now I am looking at wire harnesses. I would like to find a complete one with a light/kill switch still on it. If anyone has one and takes paypal let me know.

wheelz420
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
lol neat 185s indeed , i recomend gettin the true parts for it , it looks way better plus there pretty cheap, check my 185s build photos it might help. lol decompression cable is so not needed , at least for me anyhow, im still replacing it eventually just to keep it original. need any help let me know ill check around for parts , i find great deals. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=578

BIGG18c
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I like those tires alot. I have a old 185 out back with that style of tire on the rear, but i want to find one more for the front. Does anyone know if a company still sells them?

bigworm626
02-09-2012, 06:49 PM
J.R,
Not sure if you have theses parts but I have a functioning rebuilt carb & thumb throttle assembly cable/ PM me if intersted?

vonlindheim
02-10-2012, 01:03 AM
its a 200s with a plastic aftermarket tank. pull off the decompression lever (1 bolt)and replace with a manual handle off a 185s head. use a cable line with plastic casing instead of rope. cable can be bought at any hardware outlet and it wont break like old rope :) front end with suspension says this is not a 185s, although the motor maybe from one.

Buckizbrutal
02-10-2012, 01:07 AM

My shifter is welded on, it was that way when I got it. How hard is it to replace the shaft and what is the official name for the shaft?

falloutboy
02-10-2012, 01:49 AM
My biggest pet peeve on bikes now: WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE FEEL THE NEED TO CUT, HACK, TWIST, AND TAPE the SH!T out of a wiring harness?!?!

I spy trailpro trailpro

350XJEDI
02-10-2012, 02:38 AM
:Dthe 83 185s had susp forks , if you still need wire harness and muffler pm me , I have lots of parts for 185/200 most interchange but not all .those lights might fry your stator! the 185 doesn't put out much juice.:cool:

vonlindheim
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
you can grind off the weld and reuse the splined shaft with another lever, people are dumb when they weld these. it ruins the integrity of the shaft and can cause it to break.you might be able to salvage that lever, depending on how much you grind off. do not grind the tranny shaft connected to the lever. levers are cheap, but shafts are not and you have to open up the motor to replace. good luck :)

Buckizbrutal
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
you can grind off the weld and reuse the splined shaft with another lever, people are dumb when they weld these. it ruins the integrity of the shaft and can cause it to break.you might be able to salvage that lever, depending on how much you grind off. do not grind the tranny shaft connected to the lever. levers are cheap, but shafts are not and you have to open up the motor to replace. good luck :)

Thanks I'll give it a try, so if I'm careful? The teeth will be reuseable with a new lever! Will the weld break away?

Buckizbrutal
02-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks, so if I'm careful? The teeth on the shaft should be reusable with a new lever! And will the weld just break away from the teeth then how do I not mess the teeth up?

vonlindheim
02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
most people weld only along the outer part of the lever and that is where you should grind even if it destroys the lever ( just watch out for the toothed shaft ). if you have to , take a sideways grind/cut on the lever and you can use vice grips to tear apart the lever. do not use a hammer ever! if they welded to the inside area ( near the case of the engine ) sideways cut would work best ( dremmel tool works awsome if you have it ) good luck. post your success :)

Buckizbrutal
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the details will post on my atc200s mods? Thread you can check out what I'm workin with there and see if you could tell me anything about my Q: there

J.R.
02-11-2012, 05:13 AM
What is the output of the stator? I don't want to fry it!

As for parts right now I am good. I have all the parts here or on the way. I got my hands on an old supertrapp muffler so I am going to play around with that for a bit and may just end up welding up my own muffler for it.

I may need a new headlight for it though.

The trike is a 185S I found the what was left of the factory sticker under 3 layers of Krylon...

J.R.
02-15-2012, 01:57 AM
I got my hands on a used Supertrapp today. It needed a little work but over all it is in really good condition and sounds pretty good too. Some one at one point decided to make it a one piece and didn't know what they were doing. It is now fixed and works great!

Remember kids if your welds look like this unplug your crappy little welder return it to Home Depot and take your project to someone that knows what they are doing!

I was able to twist them apart and break the welds by hand....

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1933.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/IMAG1934.jpg