PDA

View Full Version : 1983 200E bigred with no spark...

85 Jimmy
02-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Last week I picked up an 83 200e for a decent price , but it didn't have a plug wire, so I couldn't see if it'd start. I got a new coil, wire, and spark plug and put it on and still no spark. So I tested the "charge coil" and it has continuity. Then I tested the "exciter coil" and it tested good. after that I tested the CDI unit but I don't have the tester specified in the book, so I used my multimeter and I'm not so sure it's good or bad. How often do they go out? Just to be clear, I'm talking about the little black box that has 5 wires going to it. Should the pulse wires have continuity between the 2 if I remember right mine do? Also I haven't checked the gap between the pulse rotor and pulse generator.

Any help would be appreciated

superglide
02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
bring your cdi to a honda dealer,my dealer couldnt check it,they said it was to old,go on here an search me(superglide) you will get alot of advice, i'm having similiar troubles,now waiting for a new pulse generator,start by making sure your grounds are good

85 Jimmy
02-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I looked at and read all your threads and every post in them and I'm still not sure what to do. You have spark initially and then just loose it after about 5 minutes. I don't even have that. I checked the stator and it has continuity. I checked the other stator and it is grounded like it's suppsosed to be. I checked the pulse generator and it shows continuity, and i checked the gap and it's good. I pulled the kill switch apart and everything looks good in their. I ohm'd the black and green wires at the kill switch and they do not have contiuity in the run position. I checked every wire from on end to the other for resistance to see if one was broken inside the insulation and all of them were good. I checked the grounds and cleaned them up and put them back on.

I called the honda dealer and they said the CDI unit was too old, like they told you, so I went ahead and ordered another. Hopefully that fixes it. I keep reading the threads on here that were easy fixes like a broken wire, but I've looked over every single wire on this thing and they're all good.