PDA

View Full Version : [Help]Buying a 'race' type trike.

another owner
02-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Hello everyone, After a good couple months of taking my atc250 out at the river bed and the kids MX track down at the local river :rolleyes: i have managed to bend/twist the 2 vertical bars that go up between the rear swing arm.

Any way, After having such a blast and having every ass whipe telling me why 3 wheelers are so dangerous and proving them wrong I have come to the conclusion on importing a racing trike was thinking that is considered 'race spec' and a 2 stroke. I have been looking on E-bay but haven't really got in to the know on how reliable that website can be when buying something off a member and expecting them to export it. Looking on Trademe (NZ Auction site) you have the odd race trike and currently there are 2x Tri-Z 250 2 strokes one for 2,500NZD and the other for 3.500NZD, But i don't have that sort of money and looking on E-bay i can get a half beaten up race trike for anywhere between 3-800USD.

Would anyone know what to look out for when using E-bay and if anyone thinks buying and importing a trike would be worth it :naughty:. Keep in mind i haven't talked to any huge freight/shipping companies here in new zealand about any of this but want to know what you guys think of it.

It's just sooo expensive to find a decent trike here in new zealand. And i'm sure theres some ol'geezer with a farm full of them - Unfourtnately my knowledge, Money budget and my intellectual know how is very slim :wondering.

Thank you everyone.
-Shanon

HuffieVA
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Although I haven't imported imported a complete bike/trike, I have imported/exported quite a few parts and pieces which can be quite expensive even for smaller items. I did contact Koestler Maico about getting one of their bikes and quickly realized that its just not a very feasible thing to do (expense, headache and time wise) unless its something you absolutely have to have. With that being said that 3-800 sound good from the start, but I'm almost positive that between importing it (the shipping part) as well as postage for additional parts etc that you would need to get the bike in order would likely add up to the $2500 NZD fairly quickly. I wouldn't have a problem crating one up for you for shipment or getting it to the airport (RIC is about 20 minutes from my house) but you would have to find one first. In the meantime take a look around New Zealand for a Yamaha TZ250 (GP Bike) and I'll get really serious about getting a trike to New Zealand for you...

Rodd