PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es in gear but won't move???????

fordjus45
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Just purchased my 2nd 1984 200es. Cranks right up. It shifts into all gears fine but it won't go anywhere. You can roll it around in every gear. Something is not catching. Could the clutch be that wore out? Don't know where to start. Any suggestions.

Howdy
02-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Same question ask in a PM. Same reply on the forum:

Welcome to the forums!!

Way to little info to beable to even come close to figuring it out. Things is could be: Clutch, tranny, sub tranny, differential gears, bad axle, drive shaft, ect.
It could be a lot of things. Does it make any noises while in gear and running? Like: whining, clicking, ect.
With the motor off: how easy is it to push while out of gear? How hard to push while in gear ( motor off )?
Any clicking, whinning, unusual sounds while shifting with the motor running and or with the motor off and pushing? Does it feel like it's shifting?
Howdy

fordjus45
02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
The guy I bought it from had the sub tranny taken apart. I rebuilt it acccording to the manual. The problem was there before he took the sub tranny apart. Every part in there looks great and its working smooth. It makes no noises. It cranks up while its in gear with no noise or movement. With motor off and in gear I can push it as if it is in nuetral. It does shift through all gears but does nothing

tri again
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
is the hi lo stuck in between gears? like simulated neutral?
too easy?
I had one with stripped hubs but that was kinda noisy and obvious.
did it ever work that you know of?
or saw?

fordjus45
02-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I have rebuilt the hi lo sub tranny using the manual. It is working smooth. The guy I bought it from said it was doing this when he got it but just decided he didn't wanna put the effort in fixing it. I just got it 2 days ago. Hoping to get some ideas from this thread so I'll know what to check out.

briano
02-12-2012, 02:37 AM
We had a big red when I was a kid and if I recall correctly the end of the crank broke off on the clutch side. Ours did the same thing that you are describing, it would start and run fine but would not move. Every gear was like neutral. When it broke my brother was just riding down a dirt road and it quit moving.

Kenny_smallz
02-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Mine did the same thing when my rear end went out but it was a little noisy.

Howdy
02-12-2012, 03:05 PM
If the sub tranny is fine then you will need to pull the right side ( clutch cover ) off and see if you see anything in there.

fordjus45
02-13-2012, 01:01 AM
I pulled the right side clutch cover off. Everything appeared to be ok. I put the engine in gear and spun the centrifugal clutch with my hand and it was trying to move foward. I moved the sub tranny lever to R and spun the c. clutch and it tried to roll backwards. I decided to put the cover back on thinking maybe it was a clutch adjustment problem. I loosened the lock nut and screwed the screw counter clockwise until tight and backed off a quarter turn. Put my engine oil in and started the engine. Put it in gear and it still won't move. Its like the clutch is not engaging or something. Anymore suggestions out there?

vonlindheim
02-13-2012, 01:41 AM
if this is shaft drive, disconnect the shaft at rear of motor from the axle and see if it turns with the motor running and disconnected without the load of the axel. the next step is what you can't see ( possible case opening time ) :(