PDA

View Full Version : Let me see those home made atc rear fenders

tripledog
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I am thinking of making rear aluminum fenders for my 250es to use until I can afford to buy a new set. I would love to see other rear fender fabrications, so I can steal ideas. Admittedly, this is perhaps not my most intelligent idea.

tripledog
03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Crusty old thread BUMP. Nobody has any home grown fenders? Just curious to see some shade tree engineering solutions as to inspire me. I won't judge or insult your design, but I may just steal your idea...

CodyRosa
03-26-2013, 09:55 PM
do you mean fenders we cut out of good or cracked fenders or literately home made lol?

Jason125m
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I've never made any, but I do know aluminum is a very dangerous fender. Don't flip it ontop of yourself, slice right through ya! LOL

Highhorse78
03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Head over to your local ACE hardware and pick up a couple of their red garbage cans... with some careful trimming, aluminum backing and rivets, you'll have her looking good at 100 yds in no time! In all seriousness though, somebody here has to have a beat up set that will get you by for now.

just ben
03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
I have some "sweet" machines with 50 gal.drums cut up as fenders(metal and plastic). just ride it until you can buy a set,why waste the time?

philgipson
03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
i made this set out of a kids swimming pool.they were thick and worked well.

mooseknuckle
03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Phil, that actually looks really good, great job! Does it look that good in person?

manbearpig
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
I know there's some good ones out there...

Midwest/east coast craigslists are chalked full of on-the-farm fixes.

I think the best I've seen was a complete set of rear fenders made out of aluminum diamond plate (well I really HOPE it was aluminum). rounded edges? nope. Nice clean sharp welds. One tip over and you'll be squished and impaled

I have a really sweet set right now made out of truck mud flaps. They came on the Nicholson 250 when I bought it

tripledog
03-27-2013, 10:34 AM
do you mean fenders we cut out of good or cracked fenders or literately home made lol?

I am interested in looking at anything. I must say, philgipson, those fenders look awesome! And Jason125m, you raise a good point, I never thought about the potential for injury that a metal fender may provide. Yes, this is an old thread, and I am sorry if my bump came off as impatient. Given recent tragic events that have occurred within the 3WW community, I would also like to sincerely apologize for using the word "dead". In hindsight, it was a very insensitive adjective to use, and I did not intend to offend anyone. And thanks again for the ideas, guys. Now I am off to steal a kiddy pool...

Woodsrider
03-27-2013, 10:59 AM
I had a 250ES that had basically no rear fenders left that I was selling...all that was left of the fenders was the flat part directly underneath the rack...he said no problem...that he would just get a couple crazy carpets and add them to what was left of the original fenders. I don't know how this would work, but I would think if you riveted two thicknesses together, it would be stiff enough to hold it's shape and might be a cheap way to keep mud and water off of you.

JasonB
03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
I saw a set on here on a bike, it was a 5 gallon bucket cut in half for the front and truck mud flaps for the rears. ABOMINATION!

Big G
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Here's an example of using a plastic 45 gallon drum...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/3637553279.html

tripledog
03-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Big G, thanks for the link. That is the first 200es "Big Blue" that I have ever seen!

tri again
03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
I got some inner fenders, those plastic things that go in the wheel wells
and was thinking about using those.
50 cents each was the right price

philgipson
03-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Phil, that actually looks really good, great job! Does it look that good in person?
yep.the new owner liked them.