PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 250 gas tank question

cwc
02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I just bought a ATC250es yesterday and the gas tank is rotted. My question is should I look for another stock (metal) tank that is in good condition or should I go with one of the aftermarket plastic ones. Do the plastic ones look "cheezy" on the bike or do they look ok?

Also, does anyone know where I can get the small wedge shaped fender plastic piece that covers the kick starter?

Thanks
corey

rallye26
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Its going to be tough to find a good condition metal tank other then places online like ebay, craigslist, maybe here. I just got the same 3 wheeler you did with the same issue. I was able to patch it with some JB weld for now, until I can afford a plastic tank. They do have some metal tank sealers if yours isn't rotted TOO bad. Look up POR-15 tank sealer. Many other similar products available. But those are only if your tank has minor rot.
The plastic tanks I've seen don't look much different then the metal ones on there. The only thing I have noticed is that the red plastic fades over time if its left out in the sun a lot or gets direct sunlight right on it through a window or something for long periods of time. I've seen where people have simply painted them though to aleviate this issue.

Honestly, if you have the funds, (120 shipped on Ebay) I'd get the plastic one. Won't ever have to worry about it rotting. Thats the direction Im going to go once I get my tax returns back.

atctim
02-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I'd like to mention one downfall (really the only downfall IMHO) to the plastic tanks - you won't be able to put the decals on it. It will bubble terribly.

dustrunner
02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
i bought one of those plastic tanks but the vent on top is hard to keep a hose on and gas comes out of it if u do a wheelie... but its cheap and wont rott....

tripledog
02-13-2012, 11:28 PM
I bought an unused Clarke plastic gas tank for my 250es on ebay for about $60 shipped. The shape is nearly identical to the stock item, and the fit was perfect. The only issue I had was with the ugly molding lines on the sides of the the tank. 6 hours of sanding (down to 1200 grit) and a can of Valspar spray paint for plastic and the tank looks like a million bucks.

cwc
02-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Sounds like the plastic is the way to go. OOPS, I found (and ordered) a used factory tank that is supposed to be in good shape today. I guess I'll find out soon. If it's not what I hope it will be then I will order a plastic one.

tripledog
02-13-2012, 11:59 PM
The definition of the term "good condition" can vary wildly from person to person, so buying parts online is always a crapshoot. I've got my fingers crossed that the factory tank works out well for you.

sweetip2000
02-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I have a plastic tank in red that needs a fuel valve (petcock) and cap. It was never used. I searched the internet for the brand name by the model # stamped on the bottom of the tank. If you like I can send you pics and details. Just make sure a 1985 Honda 250SX gas tank can fit on your bike. Give me 40 bucks. You pay for shipping.
I am in the 10577 zip code. I also have a trailer hitch for a 250 SX pretty sure it will work on the big red but you better check. Let me know. BTW you can search Ebay for your metal OEM tank but chances of finding a clean one are slim but you never know. Good luck.

sweetip2000
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I have a plastic tank in red that needs a fuel valve (petcock) and cap. It was never used. I searched the internet for the brand name by the model # stamped on the bottom of the tank. If you like I can send you pics and details. Just make sure a 1985 Honda 250SX gas tank can fit on your bike. Give me 50 bucks. You pay for shipping.
I am in the 10577 zip code. I also have a trailer hitch for a 250 SX pretty sure it will work on the big red but you better check. Let me know. BTW you can search Ebay for your metal OEM tank but chances of finding a clean one are slim but you never know. Good luck.

cwc
02-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks! pm sent

gkb7921
02-14-2012, 11:26 PM
I bought an unused Clarke plastic gas tank for my 250es on ebay for about $60 shipped. The shape is nearly identical to the stock item, and the fit was perfect. The only issue I had was with the ugly molding lines on the sides of the the tank. 6 hours of sanding (down to 1200 grit) and a can of Valspar spray paint for plastic and the tank looks like a million bucks.

I did the same thing and painted my plastic gas tank for my 185s and a few rides in ,the bubbles came. Once gas gets on the paint it starts to bubble. Now my gas tank looks like it has a disease. The bubbles flake off and get all over your legs. Sorry for the bad news. I will never paint it again, haha

TatTooL23
02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
^^^ correct. Painting a plastic tank is a horrible idea. It will bubble and looks really bad. The gas fumes go through the plastic and get under the paint. Spray painting is NOT a fix for sun faded tanks. It will look worse very quickly. And yes stickers won't stay either.

I have 2 plastic tanks on a couple of my 250es's and they r problem free but I must say I hate the look of them compared to stock metal tanks.

cgregory0926
02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Just buy another big red with a good tank. Should work fine.

cwc
02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Just buy another big red with a good tank. Should work fine.

Funny you say that. I ordered one a couple days ago now. I stopped by a motor cycle shop 3 miles from my house on the way home today to get a air filter for the big red. The guy says "we have one of those in the back". Long story short I brought home a parts bike that was half dissembled but 95% there. Yup, the gas tank was good on this one.

countrybumpkin
02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
i have a plastic tank on my big red, it does the job but it's just not the same without the metal tank. Good find on the parts bike!

countrybumpkin
02-15-2012, 10:30 PM
i have a plastic tank on my big red, it does the job but it's just not the same without the metal tank. Good find on the parts bike with a decent tank!!