PDA

View Full Version : '85 250R Rear Tire Size?

oldiron1
02-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi Guys,

My "new to me" 250R has 20x11x9 Holeshot tires on original rims. The rear tires are about half tread. The front tire is original and has some weather checking on the sidewall.

I just stumbled across a set that the seller claims came off an '85 250R....the rear tires are newer and are 20x10x8 on polished ITP wheels. The front is original but in nice shape on a polished rim. They look great, however I question the size? What do you guys run on your 250R's?

Any thoughts on the smaller 8" rim vs the original 9" rim? Would 20x10x8 rear tires look really small?

Thanks in advance!

Scratt
02-14-2012, 01:15 AM
I could be wrong but I think the 9 inch rims handle the turns way better then the more balloony 8 inch tires.

Red Rider
02-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Now a days, 8" rear rims would look a bit small, but that's only because most modern quads come with 9" or 10" rim, but back in the mid-late 80's 8" rims were pretty commonplace & looked right at home. Depending on what type of riding you like to do, they may or may not be fine. As Scratt said, they won't slide all that great because of the amount of sidewall flex inherent in that tire/wheel size combo. Personally, I wouldn't run anything larger than an 18" tire with an 8" rim. If the seller is trying to tell you his tires/wheels were original equipment on an '85 250R, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

pantera1975
02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Welcome I see you are form Wisconsin.Where you live? As far as rear tires 9" are oem. I got maxxis 20x11x9 Razrs and there great. I have some 8"rims with 20 inch itp black waters and there worse then bald stock tires. I'd stick with the 9" and for the front theres members on here that have 10" front rims to convert your front tire so you can use all the popular 4 wheeler front tires I have a ITP quad cross 21x7x11 and it works great

oldiron1
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate the input as a "newbie"!

I'll pass on the 8" wheels and keep an eye out for a good deal on replacement 9" wheels.

oldiron1
02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Welcome I see you are form Wisconsin.Where you live? As far as rear tires 9" are oem. I got maxxis 20x11x9 Razrs and there great. I have some 8"rims with 20 inch itp black waters and there worse then bald stock tires. I'd stick with the 9" and for the front theres members on here that have 10" front rims to convert your front tire so you can use all the popular 4 wheeler front tires I have a ITP quad cross 21x7x11 and it works great

Thanks for the welcome! I live in Hartford, about an hour or so South of you in Ripon.

Thanks for posting pictures of your ATC! I love the look of your tire/wheel setup....actually I like the look of your whole ATC....it looks great!! I do also appreciate the suggestion of picking up a front rim that will utilize a more common quad front tire as that makes alot of sense to me.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I would only run 8" rims if I were running nothing larger than 18" tires. For 20" tires, I like 9" rims....

3rd gen R's came with 9" rims on the rear... period. Don't let anybody try and tell you different.... sellers of used rims I mean of course.

pantera1975
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Have to keep in touch other than last year with a local place messing up my motor and missing the entire year. Prior to that I go up to Gillett 2-3 x a month with my bro in law..

Thanks for the welcome! I live in Hartford, about an hour or so South of you in Ripon.

Thanks for posting pictures of your ATC! I love the look of your tire/wheel setup....actually I like the look of your whole ATC....it looks great!! I do also appreciate the suggestion of picking up a front rim that will utilize a more common quad front tire as that makes alot of sense to me.