PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs turning black and engine dies

bodydrp
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
On my 82 honda 185s i put a new white spark plug in it and fresh oil change and it started up just fine one pull, so i rode it around for 10 mins till it died. I pulled the spark plug and it was solid black, my question is since the plug is turning black does that mean the piston rings in the motor are bad/going bad or wat can i do to fix this solution?

vonlindheim
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
new rings time :( you could try a thicker oil, but eventually rings are the only solution :(

briano
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Does it burn oil? What plug are you using? Put an NGK in it if you don't have one already, my Hondas will not run on Champions for some reason, only NGK. Is the choke shut off?

bodydrp
02-15-2012, 03:40 AM
It doesnt burn oil and i just put a new ngk plug in it and i start it with choke on then turn the choke off once it starts up

STiForester
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Runs rich if the plug is black. If its white it's lean. You want it light tan

STiForester
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Stock jets?? Is the bike stock? If so than may need rings also.

pistolpete88
02-16-2012, 12:05 AM
little known problem with the 185 and 200 hondas the jet needle/needle jet assembly wears and allows a over rich fuel condition an easy way to ck if this is your problem start her and warm it enough were the engine will idle then turn your fuel mixture srew in till it seated if the engine still runs these jets are allowing fuel through replace them and your good to go. i have fixed alot of these this way when people think they need rings good luck

tapage
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
little known problem with the 185 and 200 hondas the jet needle/needle jet assembly wears and allows a over rich fuel condition an easy way to ck if this is your problem start her and warm it enough were the engine will idle then turn your fuel mixture srew in till it seated if the engine still runs these jets are allowing fuel through replace them and your good to go. i have fixed alot of these this way when people think they need rings good luck

i wish i would of known that, i think thats what happened to mine

30rack
03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Runs rich if the plug is black. If its white it's lean. You want it light tan

You're running too rich. waaaaaaayy too rich.

bodydrp
03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
i ordered a new carb kit w/ needle jet and installed it, i also just picked up a new spark plug to retry this process im thinking it will work but ill let you guys know

tapage
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
i think mine may need a bored head and new piston and rings, startin to shoot smoke

bodydrp
03-07-2012, 09:31 PM
heres a update i put a new spark plug in and started it up, it wont idle and i screwed the idle adjustment screw all the way in than it idled to where it was bearly running (sounds as if it was gonna die but didnt) and when i rev'ed it up it would bog out. So im thinking to much fuel again, it also is smoking blue smoke. where should I go from here, its a new carb all new oem jets and neddle jet. Could it be clogged again or is the jets to big once again