PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Kick start issues

gage
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
okay so Ive been rebuilding a 1984 tecate for a little while now, bored top 1mm over, rebuilt carb, tore everything down and painted. This is my first 2 stroke, its been a labor of love lol until now. I rode it this weekend around the neighborhood seems to run good but the gear shifter seems really loose, it doesn't take much to shift i mean. When i got back from riding, the front sprocket? or something on the left side was leaking oil so i took a look at it, took chain off and sprocket but couldn't tell cause it was getting dark said screw it, ordered oil seal kit that night. then yesterday went to kick start her and it wouldn't move, like motor was seized, took spark plug off and pushed it and the piston was moving but the kick start still wouldn't move. so i drained oil and i found metal flakes in the oil i messed with the kickstart spring and it seems fine. Things that are on my mind i put SAE 10-40 motorcycle oil in her, i might have over filled a little, the kick start was loose and would slip at times. I'm scared to pull start and ride her, i dont want to mess anything up. Could sombody who knows tecates help me out. Sorry this was so long just trying to put all the info i could.

falloutboy
02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
I've heard rumors of back-cutting the gears so they are more aggressive. I'd be interested to hear if anybody has successfully done this.

Swinger
02-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Im gonna hope this is a simple fix as I am thinking it is for you. Get a gasket kit or just the clutch cover and then pull that cover off. I have the feeling that your kicker spring came off and is binding your kicker up. Easy fix- just put it back where it goes, pretty self explanitory once you see in there.

just ben
02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
there isnt much to the kick start set up. Like 84 said pull the clutch cover off make sure the spring is in properly and that the plastic bushing is in there. also inspect the idler gear for wear/broken teeth or a missing retaining clip