PDA

View Full Version : Question about 185s carb.

yamaha225drs
02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
I have a 1982 185s and it runs great and then all of a sudded it starts puffing black smoke and fouls the plug. I have rebuilt the carb and have been runing 1 1/2 to 2 turns out on the pilot jet and 2nd notch from the top on the needle. Like I said , no indication of running rich until the plug fouls. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

tapage
03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
thats where the settings on my 185s is, are you running the right plug, could your CDI not be very good and not enough of a spark to make it burn 100% cant say ive ever had this problem

Trikey
03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Ya i would have to agree with tapage. I and many friends have has atc 185s and ive never heard of such a thing. And im pretty good with carbs. Sounds like you may have somethin else going on besides the carb. Sorry dont mean to be negative! Hope you fix er up!

tapage
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
i rebuilt mine a couple weeks ago, the main jet was a diffrent size and i cant idle it down and its spewin blue smoke now after it runs for a while, try putting the old jet back in it

tri again
03-08-2012, 04:41 AM
I have a 1982 185s and it runs great and then all of a sudded it starts puffing black smoke and fouls the plug. I have rebuilt the carb and have been runing 1 1/2 to 2 turns out on the pilot jet and 2nd notch from the top on the needle. Like I said , no indication of running rich until the plug fouls. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

Could it be heat / spark related?
Maybe the coil is getting hot and shorting out?
Does it restart and run ok for a while again after it cools down?
I hate ruining new plugs to figure stuff out.
Yeah, check for spark next time it happens.
Maybe blast the coil and cdi etc one at a time with a hairdryer and see if you still have spark.

Is the carb overflow spilling gas?

Hope it's a simple fix., but puh lease let us know what you find.