PDA

View Full Version : atc200 diesel oil?

Buckizbrutal
02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Ok so I've just read in here about using the rotella 15-40 diesel oil. Does the valvoline 15-40 diesel work just the same and what do you guys think about like 20-50 synthetic motor oil?

atc250extreme
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
what are you wanting to use the oil for (what trike)and are you planning on ussing it as the transmission oil?

Buckizbrutal
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
It's for a 1984 atc200s, not sure bout tranny isn't it all in one?

atc250extreme
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
common misconception tranny oil is for tranny only on a 2 stroke most of the oils from your fuel lubricate the crank and top end after the fuel has been burnt off

Buckizbrutal
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
??? The atc200s is four stroke.

jb2wheels
02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Diesel oil forumlations changed in the past few years. I used Rotella in my SV650 for years until the recent reformulations. Now, if the oil gets passed through a clutch and transmission, I use MC or ATV oil.

Why not just use ATV or MC oil? Usually close to the diesel oil on the shelf (Valvoline makes one) and comparable cost.

Synthetic or semi-synthetic is fine as long as it's MC specific.

The Honda 200 engines only hold a quart anyway.

atc250extreme
02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
oh ya thats right sorry got the 250 stuck in my head my bad..

Buckizbrutal
02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Ok thanks for the input guys, how would a 20-50 no synthetic motor oil be, it's just I've read a lot about these oils being used but I don't kno how old that thread was, just want to get the best lubrication and life outta this old thing.

Buckizbrutal
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Here is a link to the thread I was reading

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126588-Never-before-seen-Honda-ATC-s-(proto-types)/page5

Some of the guys were talking about being scared of the adverse effects it might have on there clutch, but everyone said they had no problems, I already have some valvoline 15-40 and want to know if it will be he same as the rotella 15-40

Buckizbrutal
02-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Ok do I did some more reading and found the answers I wanted. I just went and picked up
The rotella, that's the stuff!!! If your interested on all the info on it check out the post about Sea Foam and if you don't kno what that is read up on it as well, it's a very good aditive, for gas and oil.

tapage
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
so you can put deisel oil in your atc and it runs better then 10w-40?

Buckizbrutal
03-06-2012, 02:49 PM
so you can put deisel oil in your atc and it runs better then 10w-40?

I would only recommend using the rotella, as it is the only diesel oil I've researched. It is jaso certified and used and recommended by many other riders. I didn't notice any big differences in any performance but no defaults either.

tapage
03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
but does it make the engine run better then straight up 10w-40?

Buckizbrutal
03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Well like I said I didn't notice any big difference, but it is made for wet clutch use and jaso means they ran it through the motorcycle certification. And I really like the price $17 a gallon! It's really recommended for riders who just want to get on and go, and not warm up the motor, it helps with abuse.

4x4van
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
OK, guys, am I missing something here? A good quality motor oil runs less than $5 quart., or less than $20 gallon. Use your head; regardless of oil type, just "getting on and going" without warming it up is abusing the engine; running diesel oil doesn't change that. If you can't take the time to warm your trike up for just a few minutes, perhaps you should be looking for a different hobby?

Buckizbrutal
03-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I was referring more to motors that have been abused before you got your hands on it. I agree yes you should just take the time to warm up your engine. When I received my 200s for $100 it needed a lot of work, cleaning and tuning. I adjusted the valves but they still seemed to tap a little, the rotella seemed to help with that. It didn't fully go away but a lot quieter.

just ben
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
ok I usually stay away from oil threads but I thought I would try to explain why anyone ever used rotella. All motor oils used to have zinc and phospherous(spelling?) in them until some years ago. the diesel oil still had it in it because diesels were emissions exempt until just a couple years ago at which point rotella took it out also. The zinc formed an anti-friction layer on the cam and bearings that pretected the lobes and journals. To get the protection of the zinc now you have to use an additive that is used for "break in" or an off road only "race oil" Brad penn is the only name that comes to mind. Are they safe for a wet clutch? I have no idea. I would just use a quality atv or motorcycle oil unless I were breaking in a new engine or a new cam. The additives are critical to break in a flat tappet cam probably not so much on an atv cam.