PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump, Test?!?!?

Buckizbrutal
03-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Is there any way to test that the oil pump is fully working properly? I read a thread about removing the casing and cleaning around it because it is something that is rarely done and should be. Haven't done that yet but plan to, was wondering if there is a good way to make sure the oil pump is good while it's all apart.

Buckizbrutal
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Oh sorry 1984 atc200s

wonderboy
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
The part that needs to be cleaned is the centrifugal filter (or oil filter rotor per the service manual), which isn't actually part of the oil pump. THe centrifugal filter is a weird thing, but basically oil is pumped through this and gets spun by the motor. THe crud sling to the outside surface, and the good oil flows out the center. I cleaned mine once and noticed a buildup of some sludge, but nothing too nasty. It requires you to get into the crankcase (right side on the 200ES big red, I think the 200S is common). If you are in there for any other reason, it would be worthwhile checking.

As for testing your oil pump, I'm not sure how you'd do it. If you really want to know, I think you need to inspect it by disassembling it and checking the clearances with feeler gauges. But, this would require more teardown of the parts... if you suspect a problem, go for it, but I'd leave it alone unless you really want to play.

just ben
03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I know the yamahas have a bolt on the head that you pull out to check oil pressure. not sure about the hondas

wonderboy
03-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I know the yamahas have a bolt on the head that you pull out to check oil pressure. not sure about the hondas

On the 200 motors (S, ES, M) I don't think there are any external access ports to the pressurized oil system... and if there was, I'm not sure what an acceptable pressure would be.