PDA

View Full Version : Yuma Az. or Phoenix area?? Move questions!!

250rs-neva-die
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Since I was about 10 years old I have wanted to move to Arizona. Now I'm going to be 28 next week and I would really like to make this happen over the next couple of years. I was hoping that someone that lives in the area would answer a few questions for me. What is the average cost of homes in the area? Is the cost of living high or average? What is the Electric company for this area? Do they have alot of underground electrical? I ask because that is what I do for work and would hope to try and get a job with the power company. Does anyone work for them or know anyone that does that could help me out? I have been doing underground distribution cable splicing for 7 years now. I have a national certification and finished a 3 year apprenticeship through my local union. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I never seem to have any luck when I do a google search. Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Mr. Clean
03-08-2012, 05:54 PM
What is the average cost of homes in the area? Depends upon the area, AZ was one of the top three hardest hit states during the housing boom. I bought a 2000 square foot house in 2008 for 150K, that same house has leveled off around $100K Housing is very affordable, but locations like Scottsdale are still expensive. Is the cost of living high or average? I would say the cost of living is average.
What is the Electric company for this area? We have APS or SRP.
Do they have alot of underground electrical? I have no clue
Does anyone work for them or know anyone that does that could help me out? No one I know works for them.

Here is a forum I went to prior to moving to PHX. Yuma is a very small town compared to PHX, but is only about 20 minutes from the dunes.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/

250rs-neva-die
03-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Here is a forum I went to prior to moving to PHX. Yuma is a very small town compared to PHX, but is only about 20 minutes from the dunes.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/

Thanks man. 100k for a 2000 sq ft home is cheap. I payed 305 for mine and it is 2000 sq ft. About how much acerage on average are the lots? How far is PHX from Yuma? thanks again

What is a good family oriented area? I have a daughter. What county has good schools? How are the property taxes?

Mr. Clean
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks man. 100k for a 2000 sq ft home is cheap. I payed 305 for mine and it is 2000 sq ft. About how much acerage on average are the lots? How far is PHX from Yuma? thanks again

What is a good family oriented area? I have a daughter. What county has good schools? How are the property taxes?

My house is not on a very big piece of property, but on the outskirts of PHX you can find room to stretch out. I made the mistake of getting the house I wanted but not on the property I "require" It is kind of odd in some pockets of PHX, you will see a new subdivision right next to a farm. I live in Surprise, NW corner of PHX, it is for me a nice area. It was voted #1 place to retire in the US a couple years ago, all new construction. Scottsdale is nice, but pricey....I would recommend you establish where you will "work" then decide on a place to live. If you are okay to commute 1/2 or so you could end up with a nice house on a nice piece of property and some great views.

The school system is not ranked very high and like everywhere the "nicer" the area generally means better schools, and less wannabe gang banger scum. PHX is in Maricopa county, so Schools are by town not county. That link I provided do a search on schools, I do not have kids so cant really answer. Property taxes and Home Insurance is cheap. I do not recall my taxes but they were less than 1K, and my Insurance was $380 a year.

PHX is 2.5 hours from Yuma. I just realized I have a co-worker spouse who works for APS, not sure how much help he could be, but as you progress in your journey I would at least ask.

I moved from Florida to AZ back in 2008, and do NOT regret it.

dcreel
03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
I think about moving to Arizona, at least every day... If the jobs here (nonexistent) don't improve it may become reality..

250rs-neva-die
03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
My house is not on a very big piece of property, but on the outskirts of PHX you can find room to stretch out. I made the mistake of getting the house I wanted but not on the property I "require" It is kind of odd in some pockets of PHX, you will see a new subdivision right next to a farm. I live in Surprise, NW corner of PHX, it is for me a nice area. It was voted #1 place to retire in the US a couple years ago, all new construction. Scottsdale is nice, but pricey....I would recommend you establish where you will "work" then decide on a place to live. If you are okay to commute 1/2 or so you could end up with a nice house on a nice piece of property and some great views.

The school system is not ranked very high and like everywhere the "nicer" the area generally means better schools, and less wannabe gang banger scum. PHX is in Maricopa county, so Schools are by town not county. That link I provided do a search on schools, I do not have kids so cant really answer. Property taxes and Home Insurance is cheap. I do not recall my taxes but they were less than 1K, and my Insurance was $380 a year.

PHX is 2.5 hours from Yuma. I just realized I have a co-worker spouse who works for APS, not sure how much help he could be, but as you progress in your journey I would at least ask.

I moved from Florida to AZ back in 2008, and do NOT regret it.

Ya I would like something with atleast an acre ya know. But man those are cheap taxes and insurance. My commute right now is an hour in the morning and 1.5 to 2 at night so a 1/2 hr isnt bad at all in my eyes. In fact tomorow night I have to drive 2.5 hrs one way to work all night after working all day. I would really appreciate if you asked for me that would be a huge help. I think me and my gf are going to take a trip out there this summer for a few days to check out the area and look at neighborhoods. Thanks again Mr. Clean!

rdlsz24
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Good luck, I would love just to be able to go on vacation to the southwest some time, but my wife doesn't seem too enthused

Rob

Mr. Clean
03-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Good luck, I would love just to be able to go on vacation to the southwest some time, but my wife doesn't seem too enthused

Rob

Does your wife have no desire to see the Grand Canyon? Canyon Land, UT? Hoover Dam? Lake Powell? Vegas? Tell her there are endless things to see and do!!!

I think me and my gf are going to take a trip out there this summer for a few days to check out the area and look at neighborhoods. Thanks again Mr. Clean!

Your welcome, when I made the move here I was able to contact a few trikers for help, so now my time to do the same!! Let me know when you get your plane tickets.

rdlsz24
03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I have been to Vegas, but would love to see all the other things you posted. She is not impressed by natural or manmade wonders, though. :(

She just likes the ocean/beach

Rob

dcreel
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Last time we went to Vegas we drove from Kansas. The drive through New Mexico and Arizona was spectacular.. The view of Lake Mead was AWESOME!!! We loved the drive so much we are doing it again this May on our way to the Supercross Finals in Vegas in May.. Driving across the desert made me wish to just hop on the 3 wheeler and pick a wash road and go exploring.. I would love nothing more than to move back that direction.. The beauty is almost too much to handle.. The drive up hwy 93 in the middle of the desert all the wife and I could do is look around and say WOW.. It was that beautiful.. A must do trip if anyone gets a chance..

Mr. Clean
03-09-2012, 09:18 PM
We loved the drive so much we are doing it again this May on our way to the Supercross Finals in Vegas in May.

Well Doug if you want to hook up in Vegas or elsewhere during the journey just say the "word" and its "GAME ON"......I may even be persuaded to bring a couple trikes!!

KASEY
03-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Meeee toooooooooo!! Ill go!!!

dcreel
03-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Well Doug if you want to hook up in Vegas or elsewhere during the journey just say the "word" and its "GAME ON"......I may even be persuaded to bring a couple trikes!!

Meeee toooooooooo!! Ill go!!!

That would be amazing... We'll see what we can do.. We'll be in Vegas from May 4th to the 8th. Meet my high school buddy every year who lives in Mesa, AZ for the Finals. We're taking our 7 year old daughter this year.. She's RV2's biggest fan. lol

Truth be told, Mentally I would be so much happier in the Southwest. I hate cold, I hate snow.. I hate the midwest... My kids are missing out on opportunities more easily had in the Southwest or Left Coast..