PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda atc 200s help

jgully7
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I recently got a 1985 honda 3 wheeler and dont know exactly whats wrong with it. i cant get it to pull start so i pulled it behind my truck and can get it to start but immediately cuts off when i hit the throttle. im not sure if it is a fuel or throttle problem or something completely different. any help would be appreciated.

wonderboy
03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
What have you done to it so far? What was the condition of it when you bought it?

Since I have no idea what you've done, lets assume a typical scenario. Here is the typical steps needed if you bought an old, hasn't run in a long time, machine:
1. Drain all fuel from the tank
2. Pull the carb and clean out all the varnish and nastiness. If things look really bad, a carb rebuild kit would be wise, but cleaning is the minimum requirement.
3. New spark plug
4. Fresh gas
5. Now try starting it

bessybait
03-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I had the same problem w/my 200s. I tried all of the above and noting helped. Finally I just ordered a new carb from ebay and with just some small adjustments to the idle screw shes runnin like a top.

Buckizbrutal
03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
When you guys get these eBay carbs are you getting those $20 Chinese ones, and do they last. I don't need one right now I have an old kiehin with a rebuild kit works great just wondering about those cheapos.

eggsta
03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
my 200s was the same. the tank needed swilling out and the carb a good clean. the amount of crud in both was terrible lol. tank needs some welding work but it runs sweet now off a bottle :)

ATC-Eric
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Before you go buying a carb from ebay, go get yourself some chem/carb dip from your local auto parts store. MOST carbs do not need replacement, just a good cleaning. Unless your jets are twisted off, or any part of the housing is trashed, you can clean it.

ytm200steve
03-13-2012, 12:44 AM
turn the air screw all the way in then 2 1/2 turns out i had a 200s that would start and die as soon as i hit the throtle and that fixed it if that dosent work try taking your air filter off and see if it dose any better it may need to be cleaned
I recently got a 1985 honda 3 wheeler and dont know exactly whats wrong with it. i cant get it to pull start so i pulled it behind my truck and can get it to start but immediately cuts off when i hit the throttle. im not sure if it is a fuel or throttle problem or something completely different. any help would be appreciated.