PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r cut plastics? aftermarket pegs? and a couple more 'outside the box' ideas

diddypark
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Might as well start a thread since I can't post anywhere else... Picked up an 85 250r ATC in ok shape about 6 months ago. Spent a lot of time cleaning and doing a mild restoration. The rear plastics are in sad shape, lot of Frankenstein zip tie stitching. Thinking about cutting them to keep them from flopping about and as a cosmetic enhancement until i can score a new set. Best strategies for cutting? Pictures of cut fenders would be awesome if anyone has any

The airbox setup on the 250r is bugging me, seems highly restrictive. I run pod filters on the banshee and that seems to be the best airflow you can get. It looks to me like you can shoehorn the ESR airbox eliminator kit on the 250r to run a pod filter off the carb. Anyone done this? Pics? Was told the fit with the stock carb was not the greatest but it would work

Any body have any info on adapters to run aftermarket pegs? Stock ones are not optimal?

Jon Boy
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
welcome to the site :beer
got a pic you can post of your plastics? it would help on giving ideas on where you should cut.

diddypark
03-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks! Bike is at the shop getting a new top end. Let me see if i have any on the computer. They are going to have to be pretty minimal. One crack is almost to the seat at the very back end

pantera1975
03-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I got some adaptors from Jason Hall off this board so I could use the stocktrx450r style. I put on some rath racing net heel guards on. I like the feel.

diddypark
03-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Pantera, that is exactly the setup I have been after! I don't like the huge nerfs a lot of the Moto guys are running. Those heel guards are minimal but get the job done. Where did you get them and what did it take to mount them up?

4x4van
03-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Actually, the stock airflow setup is only restrictive if the airbox lid is on, which forces it to breathe through the frame up at the steering head. Remove the lid, run a K&N, and you're good to go. (BTW, just removing the lid and adding a K&N will require re-jetting, likely 2 sizes on the main jet). Getting around the shock with any type of open air filter would be hard, and IMO would just end up "jury-rigged", which always tends to cause problems down the road.

I've trimmed the front "drop" portion of my fenders off, as you can see below:
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/4x4van/photobucket-5239-1326770320037.jpg
The rest of the fenders are intact.
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/4x4van/photobucket-5565-1326771079428.jpg

diddypark
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
That's one of the better fender trims i've seen. I wish my plastics were in better shape as i'd proabably make similar cuts to where you did. Mine are cracked all the way to where the front corner of the white sticker towards the seat is on yours. I'm basically stuck trimming along the plane of the inner line of were the white sticker is. How did you make your cuts and what grit sand paper did you use to smooth them? I've been running the lid off with a foam filter. The lid is clearly a huge restriction. A k&n would be better for sure. It just seems to be that the length of the tube from the air box and not having the filter in the open air would be a restriction. But alas I am a 250r newbie, and just using my banshee logic that says ditch the airbox and run them off the carb. The shock does present some logistical issues. What about dremeling some holes in the airbox for extra flow? (also a common banshee strategy)

Red Rider
03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I've been running the lid off with a foam filter. The lid is clearly a huge restriction. A k&n would be better for sure. What about dremeling some holes in the airbox for extra flow? (also a common banshee strategy)I don't think putting holes in the airbox will get you much better airflow to the airfilter, compared to just removing the lid. If you find yourself frequently riding through water, or when it's wet outside, I'd keep the airbox intact with a ventilated lid & airfilter splash shield.

diddypark
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
This is a sand only bike so water/mud are a non issue currently. Just like tinkering and it seems like more airflow=better. I did comparisons on the banshee and this is what i found: filters right off carb, no airbox>airbox with holes, no lid> intact airbox, no lid

JasonB
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I am running the ESR air box eliminator, it fit on my 86 carb. Dont know about the 85 round slide carbs for the ESR fitment. I have a 39pwk coming any day that will be installed and i anticipate it fitting great too.

welcome to the boards!

diddypark
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm running an 86 carb as well, I assumed it would either fit both or neither. So you had no issues mounting up the trx kit as it came from ESR? That an MR2 in your avatar?

diddypark
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Anyone else have peg or air filter input? Website or source for adapters for trx pegs?

pantera1975
03-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Pantera, that is exactly the setup I have been after! I don't like the huge nerfs a lot of the Moto guys are running. Those heel guards are minimal but get the job done. Where did you get them and what did it take to mount them up?

Havent been on here much sorry. The heel guards are from http://store.rathracing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=468. I bought them from a local shop that uses them on their race quads. I cut off the upper mounting tabs and the fender braces. I can envision it done and gonna make some steel mounts that will bolt onto the master cylinder mount and chain guard mount. I shouldnt have to drill any holes. The adaptor are form Jason Hall thats on this board. P.M.him. there stock 08 trx 450 R steps which got on ebay. I ended up buying 2 pairs because the people that weld them do sloppy work. the kick up was a 1/2 differnt from one side to another! then the kick ups I bought used for $10 there stainless ones. They really look trick on there. and with the net design they wont fill up with mud. I think the guards were $110, adaptors were $40, pegs were $12 pair shipped and the kick ups were $10.Rath is slow on shipping Rath said they sell them in components so you dont have to get the whole nerf set up.

diddypark
03-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info! Just got it back from the shop. Hopefully put a fee heat cycles on it and dial in the jetting this week if the weather clears up

diddypark
03-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Any other sources for footpeg adapters?