PDA

View Full Version : Smoking like a chimney PLEASE HELP got questions

cwc
03-10-2012, 08:27 PM
First off, I'm sorry for asking this question here but I can't post other places yet and the motor is about the same as our 250's so here goes.
I bought a project Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 last week for $350 to try and fix up to sell. I was told it had electrical problems but did have spark at the plug, it had 4 bad tires, a winch and a big box of parts. I downloaded the service manual and printed it. The starter did not work even when straight wired. The kick start only caught about 1 out of every 5 tries but I could see spark when it did catch. From a google search I figured out it was the one way clutch bearing so I ordered a new one (whew $100), a new starter ($67) and a carb rebuild kit. I drain the oil, pull the old starter (it grinded bad when turned by hand), leaned the 4wheeler over on its side so it would be easy to work on, disconnected the oil tube, reverse lever, kick starter and pulled the cover off. Pulled the centrifugal clutch out and it sat there on its side for 5 days while parts were being delivered. Pulled the carb off and rebuilt it. Put it back on.

Got the parts, put in the new one way clutch bearing, put it all back together and sat it back on 4 wheels. Then put a new oil filter in and fresh oil, put the new starter on and traced some wires and found one cut. Fixed that and hooked up a battery. Shot a squirt of starter fluid and hit the starter button. It cranked right up BUT SMOKES REAL BAD. I thought that maybe oil got in the cylinder while it was over on it side and that it would prob burn out in a min or two. I ran it for about 5 min including riding it around the yard and it never got any better. Sat there thinking maybe the rings are bad (and they may well be) but kick starting it it has STRONG compression so I sorta think the rings are ok. After checking the oil I crank it back up and run it for about 5 or 6 min more and boy it smokes smokes smokes! I turn it off and check level again and it's showing lower on the stick than it was.

WHAT DO I DO NOW? What should I look for or test? Any and all suggestions will be grateful.
corey

200xman123
03-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Well buy a top end rebuild for it! That's the best solution

jon jon
03-10-2012, 08:53 PM
could be a bad valve guide, rings. or a few other things

WJG1000W
03-13-2012, 09:42 PM
did you clean your tank also what gas are you running and what is your carburetor set on

cwc
03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm running it on a 1 gal plastic tank with 90oct ethanol free gas. I'm not sure what "what is your carburetor set on" means.

WJG1000W
03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
i was wondering if it is giving the engine to much fuel if your air cleaner is real dirty then it might do the same
and what does strong compression mean

willreed03
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
If the smoke is bluish in color it's burning oil, which has evidence supporting it when OP states the oil level drops. Too rich (too much fuel) will produce blackish colored smoke and a gassy smell.

If it were me I would ride it as is and save my pennies for a top end job.

Hope this helps.