PDA

View Full Version : 250sx help!!!! :( my second wife won't go to neutral!:((

3wheeliejay
03-11-2012, 12:16 PM
My 250sx is stuck on reverse and it won't shift up on neutral.... It was running while it was stuck... But i turned it off like an idiot... So it wont start up if its not on neutral...For the love of god please don't tell me my tranny gears died on me!:((( I recently tuned it up with honda full synthetic oil... I put 2 and quarter quarts.. I love it so much and I wanna ride it again... If its clutch then I won't disappointed and I'll get it fixed and handle her with care... The spring on the inside of the shifter is fine.. Any help would be great :cry:

tri again
03-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Mine gets a little stuck too and hard to pull up.
I usually goose the throttle so the gears are unloaded, or usually, when someone else rides it, backs it into the parking space
and shuts it off in reverse gear, I have to rock it back and forth to get the pressure off the gears before the shifter will pop back up easily and
click back into neutral.

3wheeliejay
03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Mine gets a little stuck too and hard to pull up.
I usually goose the throttle so the gears are unloaded, or usually, when someone else rides it, backs it into the parking space
and shuts it off in reverse gear, I have to rock it back and forth to get the pressure off the gears before the shifter will pop back up easily and
click back into neutral.

I rocked it back and fourth a lot but it wouldn't budge... I did when it was running like for an hour... Maybe cuz the gears were hot? Should I try now?

tri again
03-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I have one that goes into 'direct drive' when hot.
The clutch shoes get hot and stuck but it goes normal when it's cool.

Any chance the 'clutch' reverse shift cable is stuck somehow?
Maybe partially engaged?

Let me go look.

Ok, on one of mine, the push down button pops back up but the cable is still sorta stuck into the
reverse range.
It does come loose after a few seconds but the end of the cable by the transmission is also easily pried
back with a screwdriver.

How long have you had this sx?
Did it always seem to work before now?

There are shop manuals for free in the 'world class help' section. btw

and please keep us posted.

3wheeliejay
03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
I have one that goes into 'direct drive' when hot.
The clutch shoes get hot and stuck but it goes normal when it's cool.

Any chance the 'clutch' reverse shift cable is stuck somehow?
Maybe partially engaged?

Let me go look.

Ok, on one of mine, the push down button pops back up but the cable is still sorta stuck into the
reverse range.
It does come loose after a few seconds but the end of the cable by the transmission is also easily pried
back with a screwdriver.

How long have you had this sx?
Did it always seem to work before now?

There are shop manuals for free in the 'world class help' section. btw

and please keep us posted.

Ok it was giving to me for free but I restored it. Differential,axle,starter,solenoid,air filter,rectifier, I also installed 86 350x carb, I was riding it fine, but I noticed it gets stuck when I shift to reverse sometimes. I also didn't know until now that I have to pull the left lever when I do put it in reverse.... I can't get it budge even when it's cooled down... I wanna open up the clutch side and take a look but I'm alil nervous about it.... Or maybe where tranny meets the shaft...I might just get the book... I can't afford taking it anywhere but I can afford the parts

STiForester
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I have all the parts you will need for this bike. Including motors. Let me know. Good luck with it.

tri again
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Ok it was giving to me for free but I restored it. Differential,axle,starter,solenoid,air filter,rectifier, I also installed 86 350x carb, I was riding it fine, but I noticed it gets stuck when I shift to reverse sometimes. I also didn't know until now that I have to pull the left lever when I do put it in reverse.... I can't get it budge even when it's cooled down... I wanna open up the clutch side and take a look but I'm alil nervous about it.... Or maybe where tranny meets the shaft...I might just get the book... I can't afford taking it anywhere but I can afford the parts

quick review.

so it was running correctly and has been in and out of reverse a time or 2?
or is this the first time you've gotten it into reverse, it wouldn't shift into neutral,
you shut it off and it's stuck in what seems to be reverse?

The push button drops down into the left hand lever, you pull the left side lever and it pulls a cable that goes down to the right side engine case.
When you let go of the lever, the button pops back up and releases the cable to the transmission,
so there are a few different points that may be sticky, kinked cable? lever, actuator lever on the engine case etc.

as far as internally?
I'd try the search key. If it's happened before, someone on here has dealt with it.

I'll try to search later too if you can't get the search box to work. We ALL need to know the fix.
GF's birthday and I can't be late even though a trike is part of her surprise.