PDA

View Full Version : Fixing air leaks around the outer rim/ near bead of tire...

sunnyday
03-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I have 1 rim that has a slow leak around the outer bead/ outer rim of the wheel....will fix a flat seal it ?

THE OUTER PART OF THE RIM DOESNT LOOK ALL BANGED UP...but when I spray liquid soap around the outer rim/ bead, I see bubbles.

JasonB
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I have three tires that do that on my machines, HATE IT! I think you may be able to break the bead around the edge right there, clean it, and re inflate the tire to see if it holds. I havent started trying to fix this issue on my machines yet, they have just been sitting waiting for my attention

whitetail hunter
03-12-2012, 06:47 PM
green slime works great. and washes out if you dismount it.

sunnyday
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
green slime works great. and washes out if you dismount it.

it tryed green slime..it did not work for me...

curtis slawson
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
you must have not used it right. I had 3 tire thats had leaks worked great did you drive it after for a few hours that helps alot .

RoscoW
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
the tire shop I've used has a thick black "grease" type stuff they run around the bead before inflating, it just brushes on. See if you can locate something like that.

Ross..

swampthang
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Just break the tire down and check to see if the bead is chewed up from someone mounting it that prolly shouldn't be mounting tires. Also check the wheel to see if anything it blocking the tire from seating fully on the bead like mud,rocks,chunks of wood,etc.. If the bead is messed up on the tire you will either have to replace the tire or get a inner tube for it. I've never been much of a fan of tire sealants they just make for a mess later on down the road.

Red Rider
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I've never seen Fix a flat work for anyone. The first time I had a leaky bead such as yourself, I tried the slime treatment, and that didn't work, but it did make a nice mess. If the rim bead isn't all beat up, and it's nice & round, and the tire's bead is in good shape, Jason's method of breaking the bead, cleaning the tire & rim beads is the best way to fix the problem. I gave up on the quick & easy flat fixes years ago. Now if I get a flat, I fix it the proper way, by patching it.

whitetail hunter
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
i've never had a problem with green slime if you use the right amount for the size of tire. and the clean up just hose it off. clean the rim smear a light film of bearing grease on the lip and you should seal up fine.

jpagel
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I had pulled off the rear tires on one of my wheelers that I had recently purchased and it looked like the green slime actually started eating away at the rims. They were all pitted and it was mess to clean up. Just something to think about in the long run.

KASEY
03-12-2012, 09:50 PM
all the buggy guys in the dunes use antifreeze and alumina seal radaitor stop leak,,, and it never gets slimey and washes out nicely...

jb2wheels
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I've had 3 tires do this. For each, I popped the bead and cleaned and scubbed and guess what - they still leaked.

Now, after I scrub and clean, I run a thin bead of clear silicon around the inner edge of the bead - right out of the household caulk gun. They seal up and the bead pops on easier.

I bet they'll be a B!@#$ to get apart someday in the future. But they don't leak.

WJG1000W
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
I usually use "bead sealer" for ATV/ATC tires because usually the bead isn't great and the rims are scratched its worked every time for me and it is a must for cast aluminum car rims

rossmantim
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
try slime or get a tube for the tire. im currently dealing with a leak myself. fix-a-flat is only meant for temporary fixes so you can get the vehicle somewhere else to perminintaly fix the leak