PDA

View Full Version : my 185s will stop runing once it gets hot

bodydrp
03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
my 83 honda 185s will start up and idle and run perfectly, then i would ride it around for ten mins till it starts to bog out slowly once the motor is hot, then it dies and wont start again untill it cools down. Could anyone tell me how to fix this.
the carb is cleaned with stock jets new needle jet, the air filter is the same one that came with it but its cleaned.

rossmantim
03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I had this same problem in my 85 Kawasaki KLT 160. I cleaned my carb and it did not help me one bit. after about 2 days fiddeling with the carb i found out i couldnt blow much air through the gas intake into the carb. I finally fixed it by cleaning the little spot under the center of the metal part on the float. there is a little plug like thing that the float moves depending on how much gas is in the carb (I assume) this was stuck not allowing too much gas to enter the carb. try wiggling this part with a small screwdriver or something similar and make sure the sides of that plug thing are clean

bodydrp
03-12-2012, 10:16 PM
i have cleaned that, my first problem was it was running to rich so i moved the jet needle/ idle needle clip up one spot now its doing what I posted first

rossmantim
03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
sorry im just learning about small engines. i cant really help you any more then keeping this thread bumped to the top of the list lol

bodydrp
03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
thanks man, im learning just like you

Super-Sam-500
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
R u gettin a spark when it stops? I had that problem with a quad once, bogged down and died when hot. Turned out a wire had rubbed through on the stator and was going to ground. It caused a weak spark but only after the bike was hot!

bodydrp
03-13-2012, 01:10 AM
im not sure ill look in to it when i get a chance. Thanks for the advice

segers200s
03-13-2012, 01:25 AM
I've had the same problem . I put new spark plug in and it runs great now even when it gets hot. goodluck

whitetail hunter
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
probably no spark when its hot. check coil for cracks its probably breaking down when hot. if no spark when it quits on you i would replace coil.