PDA

View Full Version : Is it common for 1985 honda 250r atc kickstarter to slip ?

sunnyday
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
My kickstarter always comes back to the top...but sometimes it slips when kicking down on it

is this something I should try and fix right away or just deal with it { Its not so bad that it wont grab enough to start the bike} .

I really didnt want to fool around with all those inner springs/gears and take the clutch off , to repair something that still works fair enough to do its job..but it does slip.

I wasnt sure if keeping it like it is and continuing to use it, could result in damaging other parts.

sunnyday
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
My kickstarter always comes back to the top...but sometimes it slips when kicking down on it

is this something I should try and fix right away or just deal with it { Its not so bad that it wont grab enough to start the bike} .

I really didnt want to fool around with all those inner springs/gears and take the clutch off , to repair something that still works fair enough to do its job..but it does slip.

I wasnt sure if keeping it like it is and continuing to use it, could result in damaging other parts.

also, is it possible that 1 of the springs just need to be taken off and stretched out, to create better tension..and then the kickstarter gears would grab properly ?

sunnyday
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Someone told me that this is usually a sign of a worn " 1 way clutch sprag" ...

but I dont have a clue what that is..:}

cwc
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
It does sound like a one way clutch bearing. I just replaced one on a honda fourtrax. I think it's pretty common for that to be the problem when the kick starter does as your talking about. It's not THAT hard to replace but it is a expensive bearing ($100 on a TRX300FW)

sunnyday
03-13-2012, 10:57 AM
It does sound like a one way clutch bearing. I just replaced one on a honda fourtrax. I think it's pretty common for that to be the problem when the kick starter does as your talking about. It's not THAT hard to replace but it is a expensive bearing ($100 on a TRX300FW)

any idea what this part looks like on the honda 1985 250r atc/ 3 wheeler ?

Scratt
03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
My 85 did that and I heard most 85 kick starters are notorious for doing that as well. I ended up buying a whole new kick starter assembly for about $60 but I am waiting till I get my motor painted then I will put it all together and see how it works.

riverrat
03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
The teeth on the kick starter are worn. I back cut mine by hand, and it works much better. I am not even sure if these parts are still available from honda anymore. It will only get worse until you hurt your leg or foot. The good news is you don't have to split the cases to repair it, it is fairly simple.

Red Rider
03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
The 85's had a recall on them for that very reason, slipping kickstarters. It plagued some immediately, and others not until several years down the road. Just get a used internal kickstarter mechanism for an 86-89 250R and your problem will be solved. As Riverrat said, it's easy to install, just remove the clutch cover.

sunnyday
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
The 85's had a recall on them for that very reason, slipping kickstarters. It plagued some immediately, and others not until several years down the road. Just get a used internal kickstarter mechanism for an 86-89 250R and your problem will be solved. As Riverrat said, it's easy to install, just remove the clutch cover.

so I wont have to take the clutch off/apart ?

just take off the right engine cover and I can get directly to the problem ?

KASEY
03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
you will have to pull the clutch off too,,,

Red Rider
03-13-2012, 11:51 PM
so I wont have to take the clutch off/apart ?

just take off the right engine cover and I can get directly to the problem ?I'm away from home, and therefore, my manual also, and going from memory I didn't think the clutch needed to be removed, but if KASEY says it needs to be removed, then it does. I trust KASEY's 250R knowledge, since he probably has at least 10 hours :rolleyes: wrenching on them. :cool:

KASEY
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
ok well i just stepped out in the garage .. i happen to have a 250r motor on the bench,,, since i just did a clutch lastnight in another 250r,, i figured i would help you out,,, the 85 has a very thin spacer in them between the case and the kicker gear,,, it wore away pretty fast,,, or wasn't very close on tolerance,,, every 85 i open up i update th spacer to an 86,,, it seems to solve all the kicker issues!!! here is a pict of the spacer (an 86) and yep you have to pull the clutch to get to the kicker assembly!!!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n592/KASEYII/DSC00434.jpg

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n592/KASEYII/DSC00433.jpg

sunnyday
03-14-2012, 03:18 AM
ok well i just stepped out in the garage .. i happen to have a 250r motor on the bench,,, since i just did a clutch lastnight in another 250r,, i figured i would help you out,,, the 85 has a very thin spacer in them between the case and the kicker gear,,, it wore away pretty fast,,, or wasn't very close on tolerance,,, every 85 i open up i update th spacer to an 86,,, it seems to solve all the kicker issues!!! here is a pict of the spacer (an 86) and yep you have to pull the clutch to get to the kicker assembly!!!

thanks...

do I need any special tools to pull the clutch off ?

so the spacer on the 1985 wears out quickly..meaning that it it gets to short..and needs to be replaced with a longer one ? If so, how long should the spacer be ?

sunnyday
03-14-2012, 09:44 PM
so most of the time, the spacer is to worn down { in length} and thats why this problem exists ?

KASEY
03-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I AM GOING TO SAY NO.... 2 of the 85's i tore down needed more than that spacer,, but several with a ocational skipping problem were cured by replacing the spacer.....

sunnyday
03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I AM GOING TO SAY NO.... 2 of the 85's i tore down needed more than that spacer,, but several with a ocational skipping problem were cured by replacing the spacer.....

so when you tore those two down....it was easy to see that the gear/s were worn down to ?

KASEY
03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
you can put a gear in each hand and manually twist them,, if warm you can actually make them slip by each other ,, also see the wear,,,,

riverrat
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
The tips of the teeth wear out to the wrong angle, then what happens is the teeth bounce off each other instead of engaging.

Onetrackmind
01-11-2015, 12:07 AM

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but this thread is how I figured out what is wrong with my new (to me 85R) and I would greatly appreciate some more input.

Kasey (or anyone else), can you tell me if the longer collar that you were referring to in this old post is available from Honda or anywhere else? I have the Honda service bulletin for this (dated Dec 1984) that directs the use of a new collar that is 20x30mm with a part # 28283-HA2-010. All I can find online or by calling my local Honda dealer about that part # is that it is the original 20x27mm collar...not 20x30mm (Honda actually says its obsolete and out of stock, but I have found it in stock online).

I just received my replacement spindle assembly and it didn't include the collar and washers outside of the pinion gear (should have looked at the pics closer) and would really rather not re-use the ones on my old assembly. I would really like to upgrade to the longer 20x30mm collar if at all possible. Can anyone help me find one?

Thanks in advance.

Onetrackmind
01-11-2015, 11:08 PM
This thread is almost 3 years old, but it helped me identify the cause of the only big problem that I have found with my new (to me) 85R. I'm hoping that someone (especially Kasey) can help me out with the question I have.

I got a new spindle assembly off of eBay and am about to do this swap and it doesn't have the collar or washers that are outside of the pinion gear. By looking at the shop manual service bulletin about this problem, I see that the Honda directed the use of a new, longer collar (part # 28283-HA2-010) that is 20x30mm. It seems that Honda Used the same fix that Kasey suggested earlier in this thread.

The problem that I am running into is that when I search for that part number, it comes back as a 20x27mm collar (not 20x30). That is the same length as the old collar (part # 28283-HA2-000) that Honda originally installed with the two washers and subsequently recalled to be replaced with the longer one. I am really confused here...is the collar that I want to use in my replacement 20x30 or 20x27? And if it's 20x30, how or where can I get one?

Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy here.
OTM

Onetrackmind
03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Bump...

Can anyone help with this one?
Thanks.

250rRoostmaster
03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I also replied to your other thread in trikesylvania..

You definitely need the longer collar, The spacers were used in 85 motors and were recalled due to slipping kickers. 86-89 motors were all upgraded to the longer collar. Just find a used collar off an 86-89 motor is my suggestion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-87-Honda-...d372e1&vxp=mtr

Here's an assembly with longer collar for $55 OBO