PDA

View Full Version : Are pictures we post here copyrighted?

wonderboy
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
So, I was doing a google images search for "Honda 350X ATC" just to see what was out there. I found one of the pictures that I'd uploaded to the gallery of another forum being used for a "pay-for-download" site for the 350X service manual.

So, that kinda pisses me off that they are using my picture for a scam (since the manual is freely downloaded everywhere else).

Are our pictures copyrighted by default when we put them up on the site? Or, by posting on the forum, do we loose our rights to the pictures?

Mosh
03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Anything you post on the net is under the DMCA law filed under Federal laws.
It is automatic. There is no action required by you to register.

What you need to do is find out who the site's host provider is, and download a DMCA form and mail or fax it to the website's host provider with proof that the image is yours.
The website host will remove the image or materials free of charge.

Look up "DMCA" and all will be explained.

However if you gave the infringing website host or owner written permission to use your material you are SOL.

MRSOUND
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I've also found pics of my trikes I posted on here in google image searches as well as many others from here. None of mine are nice enough to be used for anything else though, they just link to the thread I posted them to here.

mohadib
03-13-2012, 01:06 PM
This also assumes the hosting provider is in the United States. THis also assumes they dont call your bluff and force you to take them to court. If you put a picture on the internet and dont have money for lawyers, just assume it might be used by someone else.

wonderboy
03-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I sent a note to the website administrator, and just simply asked that they remove the picture since it was mine... they sent a polite reply and said that they would. We'll see.

I was mostly just upset at the principal, it's not that I want to make money off of my pictures. If somebody asked, I'm probably be more than happy to let people use them... they just have to ask.

And thanks for the link Mosh. I'm going to download that form and hang onto it just in case.

tri again
03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I sent a note to the website administrator, and just simply asked that they remove the picture since it was mine... they sent a polite reply and said that they would. We'll see.

I was mostly just upset at the principal, it's not that I want to make money off of my pictures. If somebody asked, I'm probably be more than happy to let people use them... they just have to ask.

And thanks for the link Mosh. I'm going to download that form and hang onto it just in case.

Wouldn't it be nice if they gave you 50 cents for every download?

I should d/l the dmca too.
Wonder if that covers all 'property' posted?
Just one viral video would be like winning the lottery.