PDA

View Full Version : Why no oil dipstick for the honda 250r atc ?

sunnyday
03-14-2012, 04:04 AM
would the dipstick have gotten in the way of the lower cranckcase gears ?

tri again
03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Good question. I've never seen an 'R' in person.
What do they use for an oil level checker?

I've seen oil level 'windows' in some industrial machines.

In most automotive manual transmissions, a dipstick is rare.

I guess they don't 'burn' oil and they're not supposed to leak.

MrPretty
03-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't it be because it is a two stroke engine

rjs89ia
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
no clearance for a stick i do believe im not one for staring into the oil filler hole to wonder why but on my watercooled R i think the clutch basket and crank gears are in the way. it has a simple oil level plug on the side just have to take a little time when adding so you dont have oil running all over when it reaches full

acuraheat
03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
you are correct if it is an 84 there should be a oil check hole on the crankcase (leftside) if it comes out when you take the plug out your good. unlike the 85-86 it uses oil in the bottom end not tranny fluid

gus
03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes the oil cap is just to put oil in the check level is right near that so when you fill it up it will ooze Out that tells you when its full

falloutboy
03-15-2012, 02:21 AM
i wish they would have used a window instead...

willreed03
03-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I wish they would have used a window as well...I just use my mix-rite cup and pour in the amount of oil it states in the manual. And as I am somewhat anal about the oil in my machines (changed after every trip) I don't bother with the check plug anymore.

Mr. Clean
03-16-2012, 01:07 PM
I am glad they did NOT have a site window. I would believe they are would end up just like OEM front master cylinders with the site window fogged or missing. Measure the oil (per the factory manual 21 oz at oil change/ 24 oz after dis assembly), pour it in and move on, This is NOT rocket science.....

ezmoney1979
03-16-2012, 01:18 PM
I am glad they did NOT have a site window. I would believe they are would end up just like OEM front master cylinders with the site window fogged or missing. Measure the oil (per the factory manual 21 oz at oil change/ 24 oz after dis assembly), pour it in and move on, This is NOT rocket science.....
IDK, Tecates have a site window and they seem to work fine and stay clear. But I agree, its not rocket surgery- :beer

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 01:25 PM

I didnt see anyone claim it was " rocket science" . A dipstick can be a nice addition for several reasons, 1 of which is to quickly allow the owner to check the condition/ cleanliness of the oil without needing tools to do it.

Mr. Clean
03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
A dipstick can be a nice addition for several reasons, 1 of which is to quickly allow the owner to check the condition/ cleanliness of the oil without needing tools to do it.

:rolleyes: I fail to see where it would be a nice addition, we are not talking about crankcase oil. The factory manual says to replace the trans oil every 2 YEARS and inspect monthly. Tell me how important it is to check cleanliness/ condition when the Honda engineers suggest replacement every 2 years. The clutch plates are going to cloud the oil anyway so how are you going to tell the condition.......Oh wait you are smarter than those engineers thinking outside the box by using "rocks" for silencer packing. :crazy:

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
:rolleyes: I fail to see where it would be a nice addition, we are not talking about crankcase oil. The factory manual says to replace the trans oil every 2 YEARS and inspect monthly. Tell me how important it is to check cleanliness/ condition when the Honda engineers suggest replacement every 2 years. The clutch plates are going to cloud the oil anyway so how are you going to tell the condition.......Oh wait you are smarter than those engineers thinking outside the box by using "rocks" for silencer packing. :crazy:

First off, the final sentence of your above post, surely seems to be breaking forum rules { trolling, baiting ,etc}

Secondly , many riders do not engage in the exact same type of riding styles/ frequency as others . In other words, for some people , changing the oil every 2 years { as Honda recomeends} , may be more then adequate, for others , it may need to be changed every 2 months.

IlL also add, that Honda advises users to use 10 w-40 oil but evidently many owners use 80-90 wt gear oil instead. Are the people who ignore Hondas advice on this aspect, also looney ?

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
:rolleyes: I fail to see where it would be a nice addition, we are not talking about crankcase oil.

and that is your right, to have a opinion, just like it is others right to believe a dipstick would have been a nice convenience.....

briano
03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
You seem to get excited when you don't like someone's response. How hard is it to pull out one little plug to check the oil level. Do you not know which bolt to remove and that's why you want a stick.

Mr. Clean
03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
If I am trolling or baiting please report me to the mods!

What are you going to be able to tell other than oil level by a dipstick? What are you looking for by inspecting the trans oil on the dipstick? This is where you can teach me something.

HuffieVA
03-16-2012, 05:08 PM
and that is your right, to have a opinion, just like it is others right to believe a dipstick would have been a nice convenience.....

If its not leaking onto the floor or sucking it into the cylinder (both would be very noticeable without a dipstick) its not going to go anywhere, its a separate portion of the crankcase all together from the engine itself (basically meaning the crank/rod/piston combo) so it is not going to burn off as it would in a four stroke which is why you get the contaminates in the trans oil of a four stroke and not in a two stroke (yet another issue that makes the two stroke a better choice for small engines)... a dipstick could be used to check the level but its not necessary, just as there is no dipstick on the rear end of your car or in a standard transmission for that matter, an automatic is a bit different as rather than simply a lubricant it builds pressure to work, while it builds up pressure it can get hot and burn off (this is why in an automatic your radiator is also a transmission cooler) and also why you generally find a dipstick on an auto transmission because by design they are not 100% efficient and need additional amounts added over time, as apposed to a closed system (i.e. 2 stroke motorcycle trans/rear differential / standard car transmission) which generally needs changed but not "added too" over time..... if you still need a dipstick most of us were born with five on each hand... try one of those:D

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Clean;1105591]If I am trolling or baiting please report me to the mods!

/QUOTE]

Never would do that..im not in kindergarden...nor do I feel the need to try and " vaguely" troll others or make sarcastic remarks to put them down. Ill leave such actions to some of the so called trike " experts" that have responded to a few of sincere questions , because so far, they seem to have done very well in that category