PDA

View Full Version : Danger in new vehicles rant

Scratt
03-15-2012, 01:07 AM
So I have been thinking about this, where I live is pretty close to the mountains. So every single year around this time, I hear about people that killed on snowmobiles from avalanches. Also it seems like every year quads keep getting bigger and bigger displacement size to where they are going to be well over 1000cc. So how did trikes get banned so easily when there is this snowmobiles that have so much power they can climb so high on the mountain to cause an avalanche and they make these quads that can reach 90 mph stock? I just think those would be way more dangerous but thats just my opinion.

dcreel
03-15-2012, 01:25 AM
My opinion.. The 3 wheeler owners were killing themselves on 3 wheelers through stupidity. The 3 wheelers got the bad rap through (you guessed it) stupidity... If people would been a little more responsible and used their heads it wouldn't have happened.

When you see 10 year old kids on 250r's with no parental supervision or safety gear.. there's a bad thing coming. Riding double on paved roads while impaired.. It was people who weren't thinking long term. Occasionally people join the site with the same mentality.. I'll ride with no brakes and no helmet who cares, it's my choice. The problem is that choice can affect others and that's where the rub comes in.

There are a few quad riders in my neighborhood that ride with no safety gear on the street, blow stop signs, drag race cars on the highway in front of my house, and generally make a nuisance of themselves at all times of the day and night. Now that I have a track being built in the backyard they want to hang out. I've gotten to talk with these guys about their riding habits and how they bring the heat on my family and where we ride. They don't get it.. One of them even has a respect tattoo on his arm.. I see this tattoo a lot lately on people who know nothing about respect.

Atc-Taylor
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Do you think that society will ever realize it was the people's fault, not the machine that was built. And could the 3 wheeler ever become re-manufactured?

Xpress
03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
^No, the mentality of the idiots being brewed up today is that "I didn't do it, it was ______ fault." Be it a machine, a person, animal, whatever. Anything to remove the blame from themselves and make them look better, get the bad rep off of them. Remember that BBC video? "THAT Honda KILLED my son!!!"

How can a machine do something on its own doing, when it takes a person to operate it? Some people should just never come out of their house...

JasonB
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
im sure if you look at statistics for the last 10 years regarding atv (4 wheeler) incidents, you will see a very similar number of accidents compared to the last 10 years of production for 3 wheeled ATV's. Unfortunately they will never lift the ban on 3 wheeled atv's, we can only blame the irresponsible riders of the 80's for their injuries. Sucks!

RIDE-RED 250r
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
The same mentality behind the trike ban is the same mentality of those who are going after our firearms rights. Blaming an inanimate object for the poor judgement of the operator. This kind of logic is evident in many, many other aspects of our lives. Pencil pushing, egg-headed government bureaucrats dictating to us lowly serfs what is best for us in order to protect us from ourselves... End of story.

swampthang
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
3wheelers got too fast to fast. 1981 first year of the 250r. People with no buisness to be on one got hurt quick then the media ran away with it portraying them as killers. Think about it 81-86 the "muscle trike years". Me I was born in 86 so I never seen this first hand but I heard and lived the aftermath. I blame that damn William Shatner on Rescue 911 for all the gory atv crash footage tht scared millions including my mom,thanks Willy 3wheelers and 4wheelers were the devil in moms eyes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKE5EL28cbo How 4wheelers were still able to be produced amazes me to this day. I use a atv everyday for my job. It is a tool. If used correctly they are as safe as anything same goes for 3wheelers. Alot of people tell me they think 3wheelers are still dangerous and they would never own or ride one. Most have never owned or rode one though. I can walk into a Can-Am dealer tomorow and buy a 800lb 4x4 utility atv 1000cc with a winch,racks and a hitch that will give my 85 R a Hell of a run for its money. Think about it whats wrong with that picture?

aldochina
03-15-2012, 07:14 PM
dude that whack a kitty thing had me rolling!! sorry to go off topic!

RIDE-RED 250r
03-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Swampthang: I'm pretty sure the show "Rescue 911" didn't debut till about 1988 or so. Definitely not early enough to have played a propaganda part in the witch-hunt (AKA "ban") I remember watching it when I was a youngster.

swampthang
03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Swampthang: I'm pretty sure the show "Rescue 911" didn't debut till about 1988 or so. Definitely not early enough to have played a propaganda part in the witch-hunt (AKA "ban") I remember watching it when I was a youngster.

Your right, but it still terrified my mother. Atvs where banned in my house but dirt bike were ok for some reason. Must have been because they was safe:crazy:

RIDE-RED 250r
03-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Luckily for me, both of my parents grew up in the late 60's and early 70's riding snowmobiles during the sled boom of the early 70's. So, they were pretty used to machines in general. Wheelers were just the next step.

Ironically, it was my first dirt bike that I had to beg and plead to be allowed to get...

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
God, I crash quads around the 1st turn :lol:, I hate damn things.

Stupidity and no helmets or experience ruined trikes as stated by others............