PDA

View Full Version : Changing out different sized front sprockets on 250r atc

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
So I recently got this 1985- 250r......cosmetically it was in sad shape...but the motor and tranny seemed to be fine { kickstart does slip periodically}

it had a 14 tooth front sprocket and stock 20" tall rear tires....{ also has been bored out to 40 over, and has racing pipe/ KN air filter} ...

Id say the bike had a top speed of 85 + mph....which is way to much for my local area of riding { we have alot of woods, trails, stream, etc here} ..

So I went ahead and took the front sprocket down to a 11 tooth , and bought 21" tall tires for the rear.

im assuming this should really trim down its top speed, and give me a bit more torque and control for trail riding ?

any idea how many mph this will trim off the top end speed ? I dont need to go any faster then 65 mph. ...but I do need the ability to stay in 1st gear for tight turns/ trail riding..

Mosh
03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I am going to offer some advice after reading your posts over the last few days. You can take it or leave it.

You got a 250R. You want to run in muddy trails and climb logs and go into mudbogs. You have the wrong bike for what you want to do with the type of riding you want. Yes you can make a 250R do that stuff, but IMO you would be better off selling that bike and/or trading it for a Big red, or 250SX. You never want to spend any money, and you want to fix everything on the cheap which is fine. So why ride a 2 stroke that you have to run premium fuel in and 2 stroke oil when you can get a 4 stroke that will work better for you and the riding you want to use it for.
From what I see in your posts, you want to use a Porsche to the job of a 4x4 Chevy truck. It isnt very practical for you IMO.

I dont think you understand what you have got here. A good 250R engine alone, is worth 500-800 bucks. I would hate to see you throw a chain on a log and crush the discontinued cases, or suck a bunch of mud and water into the engine and ruin internal parts that are getting harder to come by and most of the internals are discontinued by the factory. You will have to pay out the nose to fix anything on this bike when it breaks because the parts are getting harder to get everyday. And for someone that wants to do everything cheap as possible, I personally dont feel this machine is up your alley of riding style and repair and maintenance costs.

You have threads on here asking to use rocks for silencer packing that only costs like 8 bucks. I have a hard time believing that you will want to spend 8 bucks everytime you fill a 5 gallon tank of gas on 2 stroke oil, and have to use premium to add to that cost. So what I see happening, is you just grabbing the cheapest weedeater oil you can find and blowing this motor up and having a bike that dont run.
I am not trying to be rude, just trying to help out, and save a trike, and you money in the long run.

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
I am going to offer some advice after reading your posts over the last few days. You can take it or leave it.

You got a 250R. You want to run in muddy trails and climb logs and go into mudbogs. You have the wrong bike for what you want to do with the type of riding you want. Yes you can make a 250R do that stuff, but IMO you would be better off selling that bike and/or trading it for a Big red, or 250SX. You never want to spend any money, and you want to fix everything on the cheap which is fine. So why ride a 2 stroke that you have to run premium fuel in and 2 stroke oil when you can get a 4 stroke that will work better for you and the riding you want to use it for.
From what I see in your posts, you want to use a Porsche to the job of a 4x4 Chevy truck. It isnt very practical for you IMO.

I dont think you understand what you have got here. A good 250R engine alone, is worth 500-800 bucks. I would hate to see you throw a chain on a log and crush the discontinued cases, or suck a bunch of mud and water into the engine and ruin internal parts that are getting harder to come by and most of the internals are discontinued by the factory. You will have to pay out the nose to fix anything on this bike when it breaks because the parts are getting harder to get everyday. And for someone that wants to do everything cheap as possible, I personally dont feel this machine is up your alley of riding style and repair and maintenance costs.

You have threads on here asking to use rocks for silencer packing that only costs like 8 bucks. I have a hard time believing that you will want to spend 8 bucks everytime you fill a 5 gallon tank of gas on 2 stroke oil, and have to use premium to add to that cost. So what I see happening, is you just grabbing the cheapest weedeater oil you can find and blowing this motor up and having a bike that dont run.
I am not trying to be rude, just trying to help out, and save a trike, and you money in the long run.

you seem to have a attitude, and make MANY wrong assumptions about me.

I own SEVERAL atvs...including.

honda fourtrax, honda rancher , honda BIG RED..and honda 250r.

maybe its best you ignore me and my posts, since they seem to irritate you ?

oh...and I only use BEL RAY 2 stroke oil...so youve made yet another wrong assumption about me.

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Oh..and my question about using pumice rocks for silencer packing, was because they would be heat resistant and not wear out quickly like normal fiberglass packing would. Its called " thinking outside the box " . Sorry it seems to make you upset. Like I said, maybe its best you dont read any of my posts from here on out ? I dont want to continue to cause you all this physcological trauma.

:}

Mosh
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
I dont have an attitude. Just a realistic observation. I made no assumptions. You have said many times that "i dont want to spend alot of money" from everything from seatcovers to brake pads to now silencer packing. That is not an assumption that you are frugal, it is an observation based on your posts. And it is no assumption you wont want to spend money on good 2 stroke oil either based on your previous postings. I have seen too many times where people operate in the same fashion, and they post on here or other forums trying to jet the carb because it dont run right, only to find out they are using a coffee can and pillowcase for an air filter, running 87 octane gas and Tradco outboard marine 2 stroke oil and wonder why the machine dont run correctly.
The only thing that would irritate me, is to see a 250R run into the ground by lack of maintenance or just plain abuse or just being too "frugal" to use the proper repair parts and maintenance items..
You say you are into music. What I read from you in this fashion would be the same as you stringing a gutiar with mechanics wire, or using plastic trash can lids for drum heads to save money.
It just doesnt make sense to me. But it is a free world and you can do whatever makes you happy. I dont think in all my years I have ever heard anyone suggest or even think of using rocks for silencer packing.

I digress and will ignore you from now..Good luck.

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
I dont have an attitude. Just a realistic observation. I made no assumptions. You have said many times that "i dont want to spend alot of money" from everything from seatcovers to brake pads to now silencer packing. That is not an assumption that you are frugal, it is an observation based on your posts. And it is no assumption you wont want to spend money on good 2 stroke oil either based on your previous postings. I have seen too many times where people operate in the same fashion, and they post on here or other forums trying to jet the carb because it dont run right, only to find out they are using a coffee can and pillowcase for an air filter, running 87 octane gas and Tradco outboard marine 2 stroke oil and wonder why the machine dont run correctly.
The only thing that would irritate me, is to see a 250R run into the ground by lack of maintenance or just plain abuse or just being too "frugal" to use the proper repair parts and maintenance items..
I digress and will ignore you from now..Good luck.

You say you are into music. What I read from you in this fashion would be the same as you stringing a gutiar with mechanics wire, or using plastic trash can lids for drum heads to save money.
It just doesnt make sense to me. But it is a free world and you can do whatever makes you happy. I dont think in all my years I have ever heard anyone suggest or even think of using rocks for silencer packing.

you made MANY wrong assumptions in your 1st reply..

1 of them was that I would only buy the cheapest 2 stroke weedeater oil ....WRONG..I only use bel ray..

you also assumed that I will be riding thru " mudbogs" .....Ive never even mentioned the word " mudbogs " or mudholes...in any post I have made on this site, since I joined up.

so how can you possibly claim that you are not making wrong assumptions ?

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
So can we try and get back to the original subject matter ? Seriously dude, its not a big deal for people to want to change sprocket sizes on a 2 stroke vehicle, to make them more favorable for trail riding , instead of all out balls to the walls racing or doing 90 mph top speed on straight aways.

I have 3 other atvs that are 4 strokes..but sometimes Id like to do trail riding with a 2 stroke .

ezmoney1979
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
What is the matter with you? A guy takes time to offer you sound advice and you get all pissy about it!? He didnt call you names, he just called it like he sees it and is an expert on the subject. And rocks for silencer packing is not "thinking outside the box" its more like "not thinking at all".

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
What is the matter with you? A guy takes time to offer you sound advice and you get all pissy about it!? He didnt call you names, he just called it like he sees it and is an expert on the subject. And rocks for silencer packing is not "thinking outside the box" its more like "not thinking at all".

Its not his advice that bothered me, its his wrong assumptions about me that needed to be addressed.

He must not be to much of a expert on the subject, if he makes several claims about me and my actions, which are untrue.

think about it.

In fact, he didnt even really address the main subject matter of my post that started this thread...he went off ranting about me using " cheap 2stroke weed whacker oil, and riding in " mudbogs"....none of which I do !

Mr. Clean
03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
So I recently got this 1985- 250r......cosmetically it was in sad shape...but the motor and tranny seemed to be fine { kickstart does slip periodically}

it had a 14 tooth front sprocket and stock 20" tall rear tires....{ also has been bored out to 40 over, and has racing pipe/ KN air filter} ...

Id say the bike had a top speed of 85 + mph....which is way to much for my local area of riding { we have alot of woods, trails, stream, etc here} ..

So I went ahead and took the front sprocket down to a 11 tooth , and bought 21" tall tires for the rear.

im assuming this should really trim down its top speed, and give me a bit more torque and control for trail riding ?

any idea how many mph this will trim off the top end speed ? I dont need to go any faster then 65 mph. ...but I do need the ability to stay in 1st gear for tight turns/ trail riding..

BS, now way that 250r top speed is 85 mph......Since you already have the 11 tooth sprocket, why not go ride and report back your increased torque and control for trail riding and how much mph you trim off that reported top speed. :crazy:

In this thread you started another member posted some excellent info on sprockets, did you read it?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141389-Largestr-tires-that-will-fit-a-1985-Honda-250r-atc-3-wheeler?p=1103842#post1103842

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
BS, now way that 250r top speed is 85 mph......Since you already have the 11 tooth sprocket, why not go ride and report back your increased torque and control for trail riding and how much mph you trim off that reported top speed. :crazy:

In this thread you started another member posted some excellent info on sprockets, did you read it?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141389-Largestr-tires-that-will-fit-a-1985-Honda-250r-atc-3-wheeler?p=1103842#post1103842

Then please tell us, what do you think the top speed was that I encountered on it ? Full throttle 6th gear...

KN air filter / with air cover off

40 over bored out

racing pipe

carb rejetted

and my bodyweight of 169 lbs.

You act as though 85 mph top end speed , in these conditions is absoloutley unheard of..

Mosh
03-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Posted in order of dates and times.

the 22 " tall tires a bit to low profile for riding in my area { woods , trails, with streams, logs to ride over, etc...}

so I was looking to get a bit more ground clearance for local riding. I dont race this 250r and I dont have the money to purchase another atv that is a 4 stroke with tall tires.

Could you give me a link to a set of tires that are 25 " tall, that would fit my 1985 rear / front rims ?

you seem to have a attitude, and make MANY wrong assumptions about me.

I own SEVERAL atvs...including.

honda fourtrax, honda rancher , honda BIG RED..and honda 250r.

maybe its best you ignore me and my posts, since they seem to irritate you ?

oh...and I only use BEL RAY 2 stroke oil...so youve made yet another wrong assumption about me.

you made MANY wrong assumptions in your 1st reply..

1 of them was that I would only buy the cheapest 2 stroke weedeater oil ....WRONG..I only use bel ray..

you also assumed that I will be riding thru " mudbogs" .....Ive never even mentioned the word " mudbogs " or mudholes...in any post I have made on this site, since I joined up.

so how can you possibly claim that you are not making wrong assumptions ?
I am really confused.
(1) I assume in your area there will be no mudholes in a creek or river. Most rivers and creeks I have been across or through do indeed have some sort of mud content.
(2) You own a bunch of machines but cant afford to buy a 4 stroke with larger tires to use, even though you already have one.
(3) You never stated what oil you will run, until I mentioned it may be cheap stuff, then 8 minutes later you edit your post to describe what oil you do run.
But I will address you original question with a question.
What does it matter what you will knock off your top speed if you are primarily concerned with trail riding? Most trails wont allow a bike to get much faster than 45-55mph. And most avid 2 stroke trail riders dont care how fast the top end speed is once they set their trail gearing. So why does it make a hill of beans being concerned with a bike that does 70 mph stock, to dropping down to 65 mph by going to an 11 tooth sprocket?

Run your 11 tooth front sprocket. I am sure it wont dig the chain down on your front chain slider too hard and cause it wear out prematurely. But that is just an assumption.
;)
I am really not an expert at anything. I just read and make observations.

However, a good running 250R does not need clutched to death with 21's and a 13 tooth sprocket at slow speeds. Everything you are trying to do to your 250r for trail riding is overkill on set-up. You dont need 11 tooth sprockets and 22-25 inch tires. They do fine with stockish gearing in the trails and a 21 inch tire max. I wouldnt even consider anything less than a 12 tooth and that is only if I would be riding in the tightest of trails that require such low gearing.
I ride mine in some of the toughest trails you can imagine and so does my wife. And we do it on 18's.

dcreel
03-16-2012, 02:42 PM
You act as though 85 mph top end speed , in these conditions is absoloutley unheard of..

Not unheard of.. 9 times out of 10 it's wrong.. There's always someone on Craigslist with a 90 mph 250R.

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Posted in order of dates and times.

I am really confused.
(1) I assume in your area there will be no mudholes in a creek or river. Most rivers and creeks I have been across or through do indeed have some sort of mud content.
(2) You own a bunch of machines but cant afford to buy a 4 stroke with larger tires to use, even though you already have one.
(3) You never stated what oil you will run, until I mentioned it may be cheap stuff, then 8 minutes later you edit your post to describe what oil you do run.
But I will address you original question with a question.
What does it matter what you will knock off your top speed if you are primarily concerned with trail riding? Most trails wont allow a bike to get much faster than 45-55mph. And most avid 2 stroke trail riders dont care how fast the top end speed is once they set their trail gearing. So why does it make a hill of beans being concerned with a bike that does 70 mph stock, to dropping down to 65 mph by going to an 11 tooth sprocket?

Run your 11 tooth front sprocket. I am sure it wont dig the chain down on your front chain slider too hard and cause it wear out prematurely. But that is just an assumption.
;)
I am really not an expert at anything. I just read and make observations.

However, a good running 250R does not need clutched to death with 21's and a 13 tooth sprocket at slow speeds. Everything you are trying to do to your 250r for trail riding is overkill on set-up. You dont need 11 tooth sprockets and 22-25 inch tires. They do fine with stockish gearing in the trails and a 21 inch tire max. I wouldnt even consider anything less than a 12 tooth and that is only if I would be riding in the tightest of trails that require such low gearing.
I ride mine in some of the toughest trails you can imagine and so does my wife. And we do it on 18's.

I will clear up your confusions..or try..

No, most of the trails around my area, are not filled with " mudbogs" ....There are some fallen trees { nothing to large] , shallow streams - 8" or less . I would never purposely take a 250r 2 stroke thru a " mudbog"

Yes, I have 4 atvs all together , 2 of them are currently tore down , getting repairs , but I wanted to make this 250r more adequate for trail riding..

Ive been using bel ray 2 stroke oil for almost 20 years...I dont use wal mart weed whacker 2 stroke oil..

Your post above contains alot more useable info, then your first reply, that was loaded with wrong assumptions about me.

If you are a " expert" , then good for you . I like expert advice, without the insults and wrong assumptions...

So, back to the original question..

going down from a 14 tooth front sprocket, to a 11 tooth, should take how many mph off top end speed ?

dcreel
03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
going down from a 14 tooth front sprocket, to a 11 tooth, should take how many mph off top end speed ?

The only person who can honestly answer that question is you. With a GPS, 11 tooth and 14 tooth sprockets and a run using both. Anything else would be a well informed guess..

There was a gearing calculator on the internet but it seems to have been removed.

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
The only person who can honestly answer that question is you. With a GPS, 11 tooth and 14 tooth sprockets and a run using both. Anything else would be a well informed guess..

There was a gearing calculator on the internet but it seems to have been removed.

Okay...I thought someone kinda had a good estimate of how many mph is lost off top end speed , per tooth that is deducted from front sprocket.

Ive read that 1 tooth changed on front sprocket is equivalent to 3 teeth changed on rear sprocket.

briano
03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
While being repaired are you going to put rocks in your other bikes?

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Nope, im gonna take em out now . The damn things get in the way of the piston and cylinder.

Mr. Clean
03-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Here ya go. Keep in mind this calculator does NOT take into account any "real" world factors (friction, drag etc....) Also looks like you need a Tach for RPM's.

http://www.ljsoftware.com/DS/GearSpeedCalculator.html

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Here ya go. Keep in mind this calculator does NOT take into account any "real" world factors (friction, drag etc....) Also looks like you need a Tach for RPM's.

http://www.ljsoftware.com/DS/GearSpeedCalculator.html

apppreciate it...

and you helped out, without adding anymore sarcastic troll remarks.

:}

now thats the kinda help/advice people are probably looking for on this forum.

sunnyday
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Looks like we have another troll/baiter !

I guess all these posters dont abide by the forum rules ?

good to know.

4x4van
03-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Just to add something here;

Stock gearing on a 85-86 250R is 13/39, so 1 tooth front is equivelant to 3 teeth rear at that initial starting setup. But since you started with a 14 on the front (I am going to assume that the rear is still 39?), then one tooth up front is no longer equal to 3 in the rear, it's equal to 2.78.

Personally, I would never go lower than 12 on the front of a 250R, as it is so small that a number of problems will occur. The chain will dig into the plastic chain guides too much, wearing them out and wearing the chain out. It creates such a tight radius turn at the front sprocket that chain wear will be accelerated from that as well. And finally, it allows a larger gap between the chain and the stock casesaver under the countersprocket cover. That gap could easily allow the chain to double up and crack the engine cases if it becomes loose, breaks, or even if it is just slightly out of adjustment.

The reality is that the top speed is irrelevant unless you are going to ride it at top speed. It will go as slow as you want it to go. Want to go slower? Downshift. The stock gearing on a 250R is great all-around gearing, even for slow woods riding. I have to agree that running 25" tires and 11/39 gearing on a 250R is ludicrous. So is the type of riding you want the bike for. At low speeds, it will run hot because of lack of airflow through the radiator. Sure, you have every right, but those of us who want to see these bikes (particularly 250Rs) well maintained and not abused are shuddering at the thought of intentionally turning a thoroughbred racehorse into a plow horse. And when we hear of rocks for silencer packing? Wow, not much more to say. That's not "thinking outside the box", that's simply not thinking, period.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I have to add that when you go to larger rear tires it will gear it back up counter-acting to a degree your gearing down by going with a smaller drive sprocket.

Don't go any smaller that 12 teeth on the drive and stick with 20" tires.

And pay attention to the advice you are given, particularly about prolonged low speed riding on the R. The old R's don't have those nifty little electric fans that will kick on when she starts to get hot like the newer quads do. They rely solely on free air flow through the radiators to stay cool. So, hot summer day+prolonged low speed riding=undue wear and tear and possible failure of the topend.

This 2-stroke is a high performance, race intended machine. Not a YT125 that can putt around all day in 1st gear without issue. Using it the way you say you want to will be problematic, I guarantee it.

swampthang
03-18-2012, 09:10 AM
sunnyday you seem like a very stubborn person. You ask for advice but seem to already have you mind made up and will not except others advice. Most of these guys on here have been riding or racing trikes sense day 1 and have TONS of useful knowledge. If you have to down gear you R that much to ride in the woods with 21" tires there must be something wrong with your bike. A good running stock R will have gobs of power in 1st,2nd,and 3rd for woods riding. Have you ever seen footage of the old blackwater 100 race on youtube? Those guys rode 250r's threw some of the nastiest terrain imaginable and I guarantee they didnt have crazy low gears or monster tires to do it. Whats wrong with your Big Red? Maybe you can find the info you need on here to fix it back up. Honestly if your having trouble riding your R in the woods the Big Red might be a better machine for you. But thats just my opinion take it or leave it, but I know others onthe board feel the same as i do.

sunnyday
03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
sunnyday you seem like a very stubborn person. You ask for advice but seem to already have you mind made up and will not except others advice. Most of these guys on here have been riding or racing trikes sense day 1 and have TONS of useful knowledge. If you have to down gear you R that much to ride in the woods with 21" tires there must be something wrong with your bike. A good running stock R will have gobs of power in 1st,2nd,and 3rd for woods riding. Have you ever seen footage of the old blackwater 100 race on youtube? Those guys rode 250r's threw some of the nastiest terrain imaginable and I guarantee they didnt have crazy low gears or monster tires to do it. Whats wrong with your Big Red? Maybe you can find the info you need on here to fix it back up. Honestly if your having trouble riding your R in the woods the Big Red might be a better machine for you. But thats just my opinion take it or leave it, but I know others onthe board feel the same as i do.

Id like to reply to your above post on specific points :

1. " you ask for advice ..but will not accept others advice "

If you go back and read my post that started this thread, you will clearly see , im not asking for advice...im asking for information { there is a difference ] . In other words, I did not ask anyone if I " should " change the front gear size " ...I asked how much mph I can expect to be trimmed off top end speed.

2. " other didnt have crazy low gears or monster tires to do it ...

I wasnt aware that going from a 20 " rear tire..to a 21" rear tire { like I have done } would be considerd going to " MONSTER TIRES" ...nor was I aware that going to a 11 tooth sprocket was going to a " crazy low gearing" ...ecspecially considering that stock front gear is 13 tooth and the fact that I was going smaller with front sprocket but taller with rear wheels , which will also compensate for dropping 2 teeth lower then stock gear .

3. " you sound like a stubborn person..

Well guess what , there are a few people on this forum, that sound like assholes and dickheads to me...but so far I havent insinuated those names towards them , because I thoughT there were specific rules in place, to help keep this forum friendly and running smoothly.

and then there was another person who claimed that going to the 11 tooth gear , would surely rub my chain pad away because of the constant rubbing...well I pre checked that , and it is not true on my atc...because when I sit on the bike, it actually raises the chain slightly above the pad so it isnt rubbing .

Now im sure some of the so called " experts" will find some way to disagree with the above FACTS that I just pointed out...and thats fine...

but I seriously do not understand the need for certain people on here to continually use the name calling, baiting, and verbal slights/ wrong assumptions towards me. Evidently this type of behavior is acceptable on this forum, so I think I may also start using such behavior.

Now, all I need to do is to decide how many rocks to put in my cylinder.

Bhwahahahahaha

swampthang
03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Id like to reply to your above post on specific points :

1. " you ask for advice ..but will not accept others advice "

If you go back and read my post that started this thread, you will clearly see , im not asking for advice...im asking for information { there is a difference ] . In other words, I did not ask anyone if I " should " change the front gear size " ...I asked how much mph I can expect to be trimmed off top end speed.

2. " other didnt have crazy low gears or monster tires to do it ...

I wasnt aware that going from a 20 " rear tire..to a 21" rear tire { like I have done } would be considerd going to " MONSTER TIRES" ...nor was I aware that going to a 11 tooth sprocket was going to a " crazy low gearing" ...ecspecially considering that stock front gear is 13 tooth and the fact that I was going smaller with front sprocket but taller with rear wheels , which will also compensate for dropping 2 teeth lower then stock gear .

3. " you sound like a stubborn person..

Well guess what , there are a few people on this forum, that sound like assholes and dickheads to me...but so far I havent insinuated those names towards them , because I thoughT there were specific rules in place, to help keep this forum friendly and running smoothly.

I'm just going to show you in your own words why I responded.

Does anyone know what is the tallest rear tires currently available that will fit on the rear rims of a stock 1985 honda atc 250r and also on the front rim ?

the 22 " tall tires a bit to low profile for riding in my area { woods , trails, with streams, logs to ride over, etc...}

so can anyone recomeend a 24" or 25" tire that will work on my rear rims...along with telling me what size front sprocket I should switch to, so I dont burn the clutch up

this is for a 85 atc 250r

I have 1 rim that has a slow leak around the outer bead/ outer rim of the wheel....will fix a flat seal it ?

the bike had a top speed of 85 + mph

I think your own quotes speak for them self. I'd stay away from the name calling if I was you thats a sure fire way to get banned :banned:

sunnyday
03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm just going to show you in your own words why I responded.

I think your own quotes speak for them self. I'd stay away from the name calling if I was you thats a sure fire way to get banned :banned:

and guess what , almost all those quotes you reposted , in which you insinuate I am asking for advice , is actually asking for information...

Let me try and make it clearer, cause you seem confused :

This question is more of a question seeking factual information : { NOT PERSONAL ADVICE}

" does anyone know the tallest tires that would fit on a 250r "

and then this question is more seeking personal advice ;

" should I put 17 rocks in my cylinder or 32 rocks in my cylinder ' ?

One question is geared more gaining information , and the other question is geared more asking other peoples personal advice.

Now, evidently, as stubborn or looney as I must be { as insinuated by people like yourself} , even I can see the differences between the above points.

Gee, just think, you and others may have learned something from a novice like myself.

As far as the name calling, I agree, its a bad idea to start....and its probably a bad idea to respond to other posters in a way in which you insinuate they are stubborn, or stupid , or liars ,etc.

On this thread, I did not ask anyone " advice" if I should go to a 11 tooth sprocket....I asked how much to speed would be reduced. I have already installed the 11 tooth sprocket and 21 inch rear tires...so there would be no need for me to ask others if I should do it....

furthermore...your claims that " going to MONSTER REAR TIRES" are absurd...going from a 20" rear tire to a 21" rear tire is not a monster tire.

So, we learned there can be a distinct difference between :

asking for factual knowledge

or

asking for personal advice.

sunnyday
03-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Id like to add another comment.

There is another thread recently started on this forum, in which somone posts a video of them breaking the law, running from the cops on there atv/atc / riding on the road, etc. It seems that many posters are actually impressed with this thread/ video , as if it were so cool and beneficial to people who ride these vehicles.

IMHO...such actions do not help this hobby , they hurt it immensely...

and yet it seems as though some of the people who are harrasing some of my posts/ questions, are suppporting people breaking the law and running from cops on their atv's..

UNREAL....must be to much fluoride in our drinking water ?

TimSr
03-18-2012, 12:11 PM
In response to your original question:
These are rough generalities for most 6 speed sport trike gearboxes

One tooth on the front = 3.5 teeth on the rear
One tooth on the front = 2" of rear tire size (2" in a tire may not actually be 2")
Two teeth on the front = 1 full gear

So if you went from a 14 to an 11, and went from 20" to 21" tires, roughly speaking you'll top out about where you used to top out in 5th gear.

I hate stock 250R gearing for trail riding. Not because there is "not enough power" but because you can't drive slow without clutch feathering. 250R's have lousy clutches that already wear out fast without having to drive while slipping it all the time. Nothing worse than hillclimbing (REAL hillclimbing) while trying to feather a clutch over rough rocks and roots. 11 tooth works fine on a 250R and clears slider - not so good on a TriZ. We have setup TimJr's 250R with 11/42 gearing for 22" tires for the Big Valley harecramble on April 1. I will say 11T fronts wear out a lot faster than 13's, and its better long term to go with a 12T and a 42 rear sprocket if you decide you like the gearing you have now. Personally, I've never found the need to go even 65mph unless you are running 1/4 mile drags.

sunnyday
03-18-2012, 12:16 PM
In response to your original question:
These are rough generalities for most 6 speed sport trike gearboxes

One tooth on the front = 3.5 teeth on the rear
One tooth on the front = 2" of rear tire size (2" in a tire may not actually be 2")
Two teeth on the front = 1 full gear

So if you went from a 14 to an 11, and went from 20" to 21" tires, roughly speaking you'll top out about where you used to top out in 5th gear.

I hate stock 250R gearing for trail riding. Not because there is "not enough power" but because you can't drive slow without clutch feathering. 250R's have lousy clutches that already wear out fast without having to drive while slipping it all the time. Nothing worse than hillclimbing (REAL hillclimbing) while trying to feather a clutch over rough rocks and roots. 11 tooth works fine on a 250R and clears slider - not so good on a TriZ. We have setup TimJr's 250R with 11/42 gearing for 22" tires for the Big Valley harecramble on April 1. I will say 11T fronts wear out a lot faster than 13's, and its better long term to go with a 12T and a 42 rear sprocket if you decide you like the gearing you have now. Personally, I've never found the need to go even 65mph unless you are running 1/4 mile drags.

and I agree with your comment about " feathering' when riding in tight woods in 1st gear , with the clutch....so this is something I was trying to improve by going smaller in front sprocket..

I also appreciate your information and ability to deliver it without sarcastic comments.

If I find out that the 11 tooth sprocket doesnt suit my expectations, I can always go up 1 more tooth...no big deal really...

I find it funny that some of these posters act like going from a 13 tooth stock sprocket to a 11 tooth , is gonna blow up the atc....or damage the credibility of 3 wheeler experts around the world.

LOL.

Mr. Clean
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Well guess what , there are a few people on this forum, that sound like assholes and dickheads to me...

Is this type of language necessary? This is a family oreinted site.

So how many MPH are you going to lose by gearing down?

sunnyday
03-18-2012, 01:15 PM
This is a family oreinted site.

Then it would probably make sense for you to also make a comment on the other thread, in which another poster put up a video of himself, purposely breaking the law, running from cops on a atv, and then other posters are responding in a manner that condones such actions .

I mean surely, purposely breaking the law, and running from cops and then posting a video about it, / bragging about it, on this forum, is a bit more serious then using the word " asshole" ?

But then again, maybe im not in the same world as others.

sunnyday
03-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Well according to 1 poster, my changes should result in the atc performing as a 5 speed instead of a 6 speed, on top end results....along with limiting the amount of feathering needed to be done when riding in tighter styled trails.

Surley such changes wont result in catastrophic motor/transmission failure . Now, If I were planning to try and go thru 2 ft deep mudbogs that were 100 yards long , then its obvious I would be asking for trouble.

briano
03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Here is an answer to one of your questions. You can put up to a 32 inch atv tire on the back of your trike, all you have to do is take the rear fenders off and get different wheels.

4x4van
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Funny how you continue to insist that you only want to run 21" tires, even as you continue to ignore "your own post" asking about 24"-25" tires (which has now been pointed out at least 3 times). And how you call people names when they point out those inconsistencies, then try to justify that name calling by pointing out a different post showing illegal usage. I agree, that video is terrible and should not be on this site, but that has nothing to do with you or your posts.

BTW, 21s are fine and are used all the time in the dunes. They are, in fact, the standard size paddles used on 250r's. In fact, I run 22" (22x11/8 Skat Traks) with 12/39 gearing, while my wife's 250R runs 21" (21x12/8 Skat Traks) with stock 13/39 gearing.

Ultimately, what I said about top speed is still valid. It is irrelevant. Want to go slower? Downshift. Slower still? Let off the throttle. Yes, I know, gearing to lower the top speed will also lower the speed in lower gears, but the reality is that you could care less about top speed. The question you really want to know the answer to is how to gear the 250R for better low-speed riding without requiring so much clutch feathering, not necessarily slower top speed. You just seem to be asking the wrong question (6th gear top speed). And even if you suceed, you may very well end up with cooling problems.

Even though your chain clears with the 11t with you sitting on the bike, that means nothing, as that is under sitting/compression conditions. While riding, the suspension will "droop", and that clearance will disappear with every suspension extension/droop. And as for "catastrophic engine/trans failure"...I've said it once, I'll say it again; running an 11t front sprocket risks breaking the engine case because of too much space between the chain and the casesaver. Yes, I've seen it happen. And yes, I do consider a broken engine case "catastrophic". An 11t on a 250R is asking for trouble. If you want that same gearing without the danger that an 11t brings, then run 12/42, which is almost exactly the same ratio as 11/39. You can take that advice or you can leave it. No skin off my nose. But with the 11t I suspect you will eventually be back on this site asking about using JB Weld or Gorilla Glue to repair your broken engine case. Just my opinion, and likely worth exactly what you paid for it.

RoscoW
03-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Billy's R running 18" fast trekkers. An R can and will do any thing you ask of it, are there better machines for a task like this ....sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXFkjl6Wak

This is my main ride, 250R on 18" trekkers,stock gearing, tuned properly and it can and has done this for hours on end. it chugs along as slow as I want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWsGyteWgHQ&feature=plcp&context=C4fd8a2aVDvjVQa1PpcFM46GKfGXFYZlS9BpSZL_ZN R3ZLl7mxtKU%3D

My wife riding my other R, stock gearing on original 20" tires, it could use some fine tuning on the 85 PJ carb if it's possible but it will also put along this slow for hrs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JSRkioPgLc&feature=plcp&context=C4b4d11dVDvjVQa1PpcFM46GKfGXFYZrwiBx3q8T_a hPpk7CbFf0I%3D

I have found that 1 tooth on the front sprocket is similar to changing tire diameters 2". which means that a 13 tooth and 20" tires feels very similar to 14 teeth and 18" tires.
I would recommend loosing the 11 tooth front for the reasons given already and use a 12 tooth with the 20 - 21" tires you currently have. if you still find that you need to go slower for any given RPM then start changing the rear sprocket to a bigger one. Here you can get up to a 76 tooth. That should take the speed out it
http://www.rebelgears.com/officialrebelgearshome.html

Ross..

sunnyday
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
And as for "catastrophic engine/trans failure"...I've said it once, I'll say it again; running an 11t front sprocket risks breaking the engine case because of too much space between the chain and the casesaver. Yes, I've seen it happen. And yes, I do consider a broken engine case "catastrophic". ... with the 11t I suspect you will eventually be back on this site asking about using JB Weld or Gorilla Glue to repair your broken engine case. Just my opinion, and likely worth exactly what you paid for it.

Well I can assure you , that your opinion on this is 100% wrong . I would not use gorrila glue as a repair since I can easily fire up the tig welder and make a permanent repair rather quickly. I guess in that respect...most people who cant tig weld, would consider a cracked engine case a big problem..for me, its a pretty easy repair.

willreed03
03-19-2012, 09:59 AM

This whole thread is entertaining me but I feel the need to point out that your avatar is not a very 'family friendly' avatar ;)

4x4van
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Well I can assure you , that your opinion on this is 100% wrong . I would not use gorrila glue as a repair since I can easily fire up the tig welder and make a permanent repair rather quickly. I guess in that respect...most people who cant tig weld, would consider a cracked engine case a big problem..for me, its a pretty easy repair.
That's great that you can TIG weld...however, depending on the damage, it could still require splitting the cases in order to TIG weld it correctly. That, in itself, is a major job, whether you can TIG weld or not. I just don't understand the insistence on a setup that could easily cause engine case damage (11t) when you can get the same gearing using 12/42, and not have to worry about it. :wondering

But you are going to do whatever you want, obviously, as evidenced by your refusal to even acknowledge any of the "negative" points that many of us continue to mention. Good luck.

sunnyday
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Good luck.

No doubt im gonna need it !

With me putting rocks in my cylinder , using 32" rear MONSTER tires , 11 tooth front sprocket , using gorilla glue to repair my broken piston rod and driving thru mud bogs that are 3 ft deep and 2 miles long, im gonna need all the luck I can get ! But somebody has to push the limits of these 250r - 2 strokers. { hey, im just participating in the same style over exxaggerations that some other posters have been engaging in } :}

Mosh
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Everyone just needs to chill and take a deep breath. Just let the guy do what he wants. This is getting nowhere.