PDA

View Full Version : New to Me '85 350X - Brought it home today!

oldiron1
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
After keeping my eyes open for quite a while, looking for a fairly nice 350X, I stumbled across this one locally earlier this week and thought it was meant to be. It is in very decent, original condition in my opinion.....the plastic has some scuffs and a little road rash, but no cracks or repairs. The bearings are in good shape. It has a newer replacement seat cover, new Maxxis rear tires and DG Slip-on Spark Arrestor Exhaust. It runs really well, however it does seem to be a little tough to start.......My right leg is a little sore today already!

Any tips to making it start a little easier? What size carb came stock on the 350X? (I was told it has a slightly larger than stock carb)

In my area, 350X's seem to be really tough to find, so I feel really luck to have found this one. What is this trike worth? I gave $900, thinking I got a pretty good deal, however any emotional support is appreciated.

Below are a couple pictures of it, as well of it, with it's two new friends.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/350X1.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/350X3.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/350X2.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/Trikes2.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/Trikes4.jpg

vonlindheim
03-19-2012, 01:22 AM
nice rig:) $900.00 bucks seems good 2 me.i kick mine with the ignition switch off several times and then kick it with it on,but a goki is the only alternative,but then u need a battery :( nice meats on those tires, mine are just about gone. never liked hand guards though, but if u like them its cool :)

yooperman
03-19-2012, 01:42 AM
you got a really good deal for 900 bones

bkm
03-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Too bad it looks like someone messed up a decent pair of oem rear fenders with those stupid mud flaps. Not a bad looking bike though for 900. Guys around me would be trying to get 2 grand for it.

Swinger
03-19-2012, 06:28 AM
I think you did good on that and his buddys look sweet too. Is you decompression cable working? If not, get it past TDC then give her a kick. Should save your leg a little bit.

sunnyday
03-19-2012, 06:30 AM
How to make it start easier ;

Heres a trick I have been using for almost 15 years, on 4 strokes that are difficult to start { ecspecially in cold weather or after sitting for months} .

I drill a hole in the top front of the airbox lid , just large enough to allow me to push in a long piece of fuel line with 1 " of it sticking into the airbox once the lid is on. I then run the fuel line up in between the seat/gas tank so a few inchs sticks out in the center . I always keep a spray bottle full of gasoline in the garage. Give
a few squirts down the fuel line and into the airbox. ...and it should now start very easily. This saves my foot for kickstarters..my arm for pullstarters, and my battery/solenoid/starter for electric starters...

Swinger
03-19-2012, 07:09 AM
I have never heard anything like this before sunnyday. Why would putting gas into the airbox make it easier to start?

sunnyday
03-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I have never heard anything like this before sunnyday.

Hardly suprising, since Ive never seen anyone else come up with the idea or do it. I do it to all my 4 stroke atvs and I even do it to my pull behind finish mower and Terramite excavator which has a 20 Hp kOHLER ENGINE.

The few squirts of gasoline land on the air filter and it is the gas fumes that actually help the vehicle start MUCH easier...Ive been doing it for years. I have a honda 350 rancher, with electric start, if it sits over the winter, it will actually wear the battery down trying to start it in the spring. Two squirts of gas in the air filter tube, and it start right up.

Of course there may be a few " experts" on this site who will tell you this is a bad idea, or will blow up your engine...so thats why I posted saying this is

WHAT I DO ...

and I did not say for others to do it. Im the type of person that trys to think outside the box and make things easier if possible. You should see the method I use for changing atv tires...I can do it in under 3 minutes....with MINIMAL effort , and thats getting the old 1 off and putting the new 1 on.

willreed03
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
I'd like to see video of the tire changing process because it takes me like 2 hours and then I end up going to the tire shop anyways.

sunnyday
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see video of the tire changing process because it takes me like 2 hours and then I end up going to the tire shop anyways.

Its probably best that you just continue doing it that way, because the way I do it, could result in catastrophic rim failure and then you would have to use gorrila glue to hold the rim together.

Just ask the EXPERTS !

:}

Besides, why would you even consider taking advice from a person like myself, who puts rocks in their engine and puts MONSTER TIRES on the rear of their 250 r and uses wal mart weedwacker 2 stroke oil for the 250r engine ?

Just stick to the 2 hour tire change process, and then take it to somewhere and pay them $20 a tire to do it.

My 3 minute and FREE solution would just be mocked and ridculed by the EXPERTS.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

aldochina
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
nice 350 man! very fair price!! hope you enjoy!!

oldiron1
03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks Guys, for the positive comments and "emotional support"!

I'm not a huge fan of the hand guards myself, however I do like the practical use of them. I'll most likely leave them on there as they are growing on me.
I do agree about the mud-flaps....they serve a purpose, however I was a little dis-hearted seeing the OEM fenders trimmed a little around the back to make them fit.

I do like the tires alot. I always thought 350X's were meant to have Hole-Shot, or an MX style tire, however after doing a little riding yesterday afternoon, I really like the aggressive feel of them. What I'm finding that I really like about the 350X, is that it has all the power I need, but it's a very controllable power. I think it will make a great trail machine! (I've got the 250R when I need an adrenaline rush!)

Thanks for the starting tips! It runs great after it's started, and seems to start fine when it's warm, however it is a real pain to start cold. I'll check out the compression release as I'm not sure if it's working properly or not. I think I just need to make sure that it's parked on a hill!

swampthang
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like you got a pretty nice bike for the price you paid. Def want to check out your decompression cable to see if its opening up enough. Wonder why the guy bobbed the front fender? Seems like he wanted all the fender he could get in the rear:lol: I had a 2-stroke scooter once that my dad rigged up a hose into the airbox like sunnyday mentioned above. I seemed to be the easiest way to get it to start. On the Honda Ranchers there is a prime pump on the carb you can just give it a few pumps of gas for easier starting. Only way to get my Foreman to start after sitting long times without cranking on the starter too much.

JJMF1979
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Its probably best that you just continue doing it that way, because the way I do it, could result in catastrophic rim failure and then you would have to use gorrila glue to hold the rim together.

Just ask the EXPERTS !

:}

Besides, why would you even consider taking advice from a person like myself, who puts rocks in their engine and puts MONSTER TIRES on the rear of their 250 r and uses wal mart weedwacker 2 stroke oil for the 250r engine ?

Just stick to the 2 hour tire change process, and then take it to somewhere and pay them $20 a tire to do it.

My 3 minute and FREE solution would just be mocked and ridculed by the EXPERTS.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
man sounds like you have some issue's I have been following a few of your threads, and at first I sypathized with you because I know there are some people on this site That like to get on people's backs, and I admire that you stood up for yourself also, but then let it go, the fact that you are bringing up quotes on this guys thread about his new and very nice 350x from one of your threads shows that maybe you need some therapy or something!!! remember whenever you are on the internet in a forum there are gonna be people who you can't stand, learn to ignore them and move on or don't bother going on the forums because there comments obviously got under your skin

oldiron1
03-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Looks like you got a pretty nice bike for the price you paid. Def want to check out your decompression cable to see if its opening up enough. Wonder why the guy bobbed the front fender? Seems like he wanted all the fender he could get in the rear:lol: I had a 2-stroke scooter once that my dad rigged up a hose into the airbox like sunnyday mentioned above. I seemed to be the easiest way to get it to start. On the Honda Ranchers there is a prime pump on the carb you can just give it a few pumps of gas for easier starting. Only way to get my Foreman to start after sitting long times without cranking on the starter too much.

Lol, He did say that the front fender had a small crack in it, so he trimmed it, and have to say that he did a nice job. The first thing I have to do though, it get those mud flaps off of it.....as much as they serve a purpose, I don't care for the way they look hanging out there.

I'll check out the decompression lever. It's not really though, that it's all that hard to kick over, just that it takes so darn many kicks to get it started when cold. I've been slowly turning over the kicker until I feel the compression stroke, then I really step down on the kicker....that seems to help.

The fuel line/tube idea is interesting too.

swampthang
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Your right lose the mud flaps because they could get pretty heavy with mud and crack the fenders. You might try just doing a tune up on it. New plug clean out the carb,etc... Each machine is different my 86 350x you set the choke on the first notch and with out giving it any gas it will start on the second kick. My 85 350x no choke and and slight hit of the throttle when you give it a kick. Just takes some experimentation.

bkm
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Most 4 stokes are cold natured because they are so lean from the factory due to EPA regs. Richening up the pilot or just adjusting the mixture screw will alot of time cure a hard cold start problem.

I just got done with a 2005 Kawisaki KLR 250 that has been babied from day one and has 900 miles on it, but has been a cold natured prick since it left the showroom. The pilot screw was mandated by the EPA to be capped off from the factory so that adjustments could not be made by average Joe Biker. I cleaned the carb, removed the cap, adjusted the pilot screw, and now it will start without the choke.

abthong_2002
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
well hopefully this will help u on your starting issue if trailprotrailpro compression release is working when u try and kick the bike there is a litlle lever right above the kick start it will move but it only engages when un let the kicker go all the way back up i know i ruined 6 pairs of boots kicking my x till i figured out how it worked if trailprotrailpro bike runs good like u said if its cold turn on the choke give it two slow kicks to get fuel built up let the kicker all the way back to the top and give it a good full kick if the compression release is working it almost feels like there is no compression hope this helps

hound347
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Brother you did great on price! I have sur traks on mine and love them, the carb on your trike is a 31mm and on the 86 is a 34mm. If the carb is adjusted correctly your x should start pretty easy, I generally dont have a whole lot of problems with mine. Super nice find!!!

Jeringate
03-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice Trike! Definitely a good score on a 350 for that price! looks like a beauty

oldiron1
03-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Nice Trike! Definitely a good score on a 350 for that price! looks like a beauty

Thanks Man!

oldiron1
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM
In regards to my starting issue, I checked out the compression cable first, which seems to be working.

I took advice from a response to this thread as I went to start it tonight. With the switch off and the gas turned on, I gently kicked it over 4 or five times to get the gas to the carb. I turned the switch on with the choke on, and had it started in two kicks!!

I hope it wasn't a fluke.....if this becomes normal, I am a really happy camper!!

jb2wheels
03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
... It runs really well, however it does seem to be a little tough to start.......My right leg is a little sore today already!

Any tips to making it start a little easier? What size carb came stock on the 350X? (I was told it has a slightly larger than stock carb)

I wonder if these are related somehow? I wonder if it got a TRX 400ex carb swap along the line somewhere and it hasn't been tuned right? My fuzzy memory says stock carb is 32mm and 400ex is 38mm. 400ex also has an accelerator pump.

Nice score for a big X. I just picked up an 86 project (complete but rusty) and my 85 project is still in boxes in my garage. The frame came beack yesterday so I should have it back together soon.

oldiron1
03-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Dumb newbie question.....is there any real obvious way to tell which carb/how big the carb is on my 350X?

jb2wheels
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
400ex has an accelerator pump on the bottom under the throttle linkage. Check out the pics in these auctions:

400EX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-TRX400EX-CARBURETOR-TRX-400-EX-400EX-CARB-/190653842292?hash=item2c63dac374&item=190653842292&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

350X
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-atc-350x-Carb-Cable-/300683513525?hash=item4602224eb5&item=300683513525&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

shuey
03-26-2012, 03:41 PM
yikes thats clean

oldiron1
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I took some time yesterday to clean the 350X up a bit....just putzed around. I took the hideous mud flaps off before they had a chance to damage the rear fenders any more, I put a different set of handlebars on it and a new set of grips.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/350X4.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/350X1-1.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/ATVs/350X3-1.jpg

Keepah Rolln
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice 350x man!! good deal. I hope to add one to my garage someday. Is your grab bar spray painted black or can you buy black ones like that..I see alot of people on here with black ones.

Keith Salyer
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
quiet an improvement. Nice find