PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on how to promote a gaming forum

Dammit!
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I put together a gaming forum a while back. I had plans to use Youtube to promote it, and will eventually still do that but some things have kind of gotten in the way of that plan for now. So, I'm looking for some suggestions on other ways to get some traffic going there.

www.ultimategameforum.com

It uses the same software as this site so everything works the same way. Blogs and groups are possible once people reach a certain post count, etc.

It's pretty much been dead in the water for a while. I've been busy with work but I'm really wanting to get this thing going and don't want to wait until I can implement the Youtube plan.

Any suggestions?

tulsamike3434
03-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Submit submit submit and SEO go check out

www.theadminzone.com/forums/

Dammit!
03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
You mean submit to search engines?

And I haven't quite figured out how to do the SEO in VB4 yet.

The problem is the forum is completely dead. Nobody posts there at all. If someone finds it through a search engine they'll see it's dead and not bother signing up. That's always the trick with forums is getting that initial user base started.

I changed a few things to combat the spammers and it's been dead ever since. Can someone go and sign up and post something just to make sure I didn't break it? You have to answer a gaming related question on sign up but they're pretty simple questions. If you miss it the first time it will just ask the next question. I think just about everyone on the planet would be able to get at least one of them right. It stopped the spam bots in their tracks though.

atc007
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Wish I could help, But I can't ! Not within my realm! Good luck man !

mohadib
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
google/facebook adwords

ppc through ad networks like clickbooth

You can also purchase targeted lists to email. But that opens up a few cans of worms.

good luck

mohadib
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
go to gaming conventions etc and give junk away while promoting the site

Yamada
03-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, I tested it for you, it works for me!

300rman
03-21-2012, 09:49 PM
It would probably also help if you got someone to write reviews of new games. Use Facebook to promote. If I gamed anymore, I would get on and help get it rolling, but I play campaign mode once on a game, and thats about it. Got out of online gaming, ate way too much time.

300rman
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Posting reviews, tips, tricks etc. to get people in there reading would be a good first step. poke the hornets nests a little, to try to get people to post to discuss/debate the reviews. It would definitely help if you could get about 20 friends on there that play games. Thats how sites usually start, a group of friends online, bantering about whatever.

bkm
03-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Scantily clad women. Works every time. :D

mohadib
03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
What BKM said!! You could also give gamers a reason to post reviews etc. Offer them free games or free subscription month to some game etc.

tri again
03-22-2012, 04:42 AM
I put together a gaming forum a while back. I had plans to use Youtube to promote it, and will eventually still do that but some things have kind of gotten in the way of that plan for now. So, I'm looking for some suggestions on other ways to get some traffic going there.

www.ultimategameforum.com

It uses the same software as this site so everything works the same way. Blogs and groups are possible once people reach a certain post count, etc.

It's pretty much been dead in the water for a while. I've been busy with work but I'm really wanting to get this thing going and don't want to wait until I can implement the Youtube plan.

Any suggestions?

I get calls every day to advance my placement on google.

Here's what I did and you can decide or even try it.

...so I listed a golf cart on CL.
It was a 1964 Harley so not too common.
In the following days, as I looked for info on 1964 harley 2 stroke golf carts,
I FOUND ONE on google!!
(it was mine, the one I posted on CL)

Apparently they web out somehow. Didn't cost me a penny and
I have no reason to ever send google $ to upgrade my status.

Might be worth a thought.
Just use lots of keywords.