PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new 3 wheeler

NubWheeler
03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
This is my first 3 wheeler it's an 82 big red 200e. it runs but puts out quite a bit of white smoke, the valves are ticking and the plug is black. I plan on checking the compression, but I'm almost positive it's top end time. So my first question on the forum is what else do I need to replace? will I need new valves? should I take the head with cylinder to a machine shop and have them check it and see what needs replacing?

tapage
03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
if you decide to get it redone id check this site out-
http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/servlet/the-127/Honda-ATC-200-Big/Detail

dustrunner
03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
well if your handy it easy .. but you need to know how to set the cam back in time and adjust the valves and possibly put new rings in it ?? at the very least you will need to put new valve seals in and lapp the valves back in.... if you havent done this before , ask your riding pals if they have and get a book.. otherwise good luck.....

NubWheeler
03-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, I rented a compression tester from autozone and there wasn't an adapter small enough so I've decided just to tear it down and do a rebuild. If anyone knows a good machine shop in salt lake city then chime in. otherwise may have to mail the cylinder off.

NubWheeler
03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
almost got the engine out, looks like I might have to take the starter out it cant move forward enough to clear the bottom rear mounting brackets

tulsamike3434
03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
pictures pictures pictures!

NubWheeler
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
I will get some pics up tomorrow, it's torn apart right now. another question. should I take the head into a shop to get the valves done? I guess I'll check the tolerances when I get the head off. I have no idea how bad it's gonna be.

NubWheeler
03-26-2012, 07:35 PM
got the engine out and torn apart, definitely needs a new piston and rings. took the head and cylinder to the machine shop.

CrazyPollock
03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
..Also consider getting a new timing chain, they can strech over time and throw your timing off

NubWheeler
03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
well, my head needed new valves and seats so with parts and labor I'm 360 bucks into the top end and will probably spend a bit more.

NubWheeler
04-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Ok, all fixed up and took it out on the trails. it's a beast and will climb almost anything, i did get it stuck on a hill in deep snow and mud, but still. what do you guys think this ride is worth? all plastics are excellent, almost new tires, new battery, new piston rings, complete head, valves, seals and springs replaced and the paperwork to prove it? no way I'm gonna sell it, too much fun.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Morfius-/readytoride.jpg

JasonB
04-23-2012, 10:55 PM
congrats on getting a chance to enjoy it! those big reds are monsters and with a little love will last forever!! Tought to really tell you what its worth; depends on your area and what people will pay for it around there. looks to be in decent shape though!

badass350x
04-23-2012, 11:02 PM
ok, all fixed up and took it out on the trails. It's a beast and will climb almost anything, i did get it stuck on a hill in deep snow and mud, but still. What do you guys think this ride is worth? All plastics are excellent, almost new tires, new battery, new piston rings, complete head, valves, seals and springs replaced and the paperwork to prove it? No way i'm gonna sell it, too much fun.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/morfius-/readytoride.jpg

awesome......

NubWheeler
04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
they are easy to find in poor condition, thrashed plastics, bald tires, rust, and smoking engine. I missed out on an 84 big red 250 that sold instantly for 650 it looked good from the pics, but this one is getting close to my standards, just need to replace the brakes and I'm done. Too much fun on the trails.

2+1=fun
05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
That makes me wish I didn't sell my big red. Oh well my yamaha is still truckin along.

TRI-CYCLE
05-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Nice trike man, those big reds were kind of a breed of there own. They even have reverse don't they? Way cool.

Your kids will be hooked on three wheelers forever now. I'm 22 now but my old man through me on a Honda..110 i think, when I was 3 years old... pretty young to be riding something outlawed lol. I still ride quads and stuff, but my old man got me hooked on trikes for sure. They will always be the coolest in my perspective!