PDA

View Full Version : 87' 250R

DeathRUSH
11-16-2003, 09:20 AM
:?: I know this might start a @!#t storm but I would like to share this little tidbit of info. First off I am new to the forum, my name is Tom Hagler, I'm 32, spent 6yrs in the USMC, and now almost 7 in the ARMY Airborne!!, anywho I am currently in Operation Enduring Boredom, or Iraqi freedom, and have been since april.I am currently stationed at fort drum new york, and that is where I grew up on a dairy farm. Any heres how the story goes, back in 95 I bought an 87 250r, it had a little work done to it, but was in otherwise good shape. It still had the sticker on the steering bearing housing saying it was an 87. I had no reason to doubt it was an 87. It was extremely fast, i clocked it at about 105 against my old mans street bike. It was a 6 speed, liquid cooled. It was red and blue. It had the little silver nitrogen bottle thingy for the shock, you had to use allen keys to tighten the chain on the swingarm. It had an ignition key slot, kickstart, of course. The seat was aftermarket, and the plastic was broke in a few places. I used to race around with a few other people back then, I could smoke just about any quad out there, except another guy who had an 87 fourtrax 250r. we were neck and neck, had the same engine setup, exhaust etc. I asked at a different forum a while back and it caused a huge argument. I had never once before then doubted that it was an 87 250r. Can anyone pour some light on the situation. I ended up selling it for like a grand. I wish I wouldn't have now but oh well. I remember one guy I used to race had like an 86 tecate, and he blew more doors off like I was standing still, hence my change in bikes. hehe. Thanks for any help. Being that I am over here in the garbage can of the world, I can't produce any photos. I do however have several photos at home. I am scheduled to be home around the middle of dec. and can provide them then. Visit .www.rushgaming.net.

mymint87
11-16-2003, 09:55 AM
welcome to the board DeathRUSH

as far as shedding some light on your post, odds are greatly against you that your 250r was NOT an 87

BUT,
I think most of us here will reserve judgement for now

come home safe and POST THOSE PICS!

ATC crazy
11-16-2003, 11:38 AM
...I gotta see this....

J.D.
11-16-2003, 01:10 PM
I just have to ask why you seem less than enthused to be over there? You call it Operation Enduring Boredom.....are you not proud to be serving your country in this Vietna.....errrr......war????

x.system
11-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Well I've never seen one in person but would like to find one. Heres a pic of what it should look like if it is a 87. I dont know if it had a keyed ignition though. Would like to see pictures of it though if you have any. Good luck over there an stay safe.

x.system
11-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Did anyone see the seat on ebay about a month ago that looked identical to this one on the 87? I did and didn't know it was an 87. I emailed the owner and asked where they got the seat cover because I thought it was an aftermarket one. They had posted it as an 86 seat on ebay. The responce I recieved was simply this, Its the stock 86 seat. I had forgot about it and didn't bid but now I could kick myself. It didn't even dawn on me it could be an 87 at the time because they are so rare. Well, somebody out there picked up a very nice, and rare 87 seat. I just wonder if they know what they have.

thefox
11-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Check the "Quest For 1987 ATCs", on the right side of the 3wheelerworld homepage. ;) We were wondering the same thing.

-Andrew

DeathRUSH
11-16-2003, 05:59 PM
well, I am proud to be in the military, as for being deployed over here to this dust bowl, 150 degrees, no trees, high poverty level, and constant work do not make me wanna crap green twinkies of joy. I have 6 yrs USMC, and almost 7 yrs ARMY AIRBORNE!! I would much rather have had my visitation with my two kids rather than having to wave visitation for an entire year, but thats one of the reasons I am getting out. As for the 3 wheeler, I am just curious why anyone would put an 87 factory sticker on an 86. It didn't have any white on it at all, so maybe they put different plastic on it. But like everyone else, I don't remember seeing an 87 on the trails.

Billy Golightly
11-16-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm going to be updating the site this evening with more 87 ATC's information. Is there any chance you got some good pictures of the bike somewheres? A picture of the ID tag would of course be nice but people usually don't shoot pictures of the tag for no reason which is understandable 8)

twgranger
11-17-2003, 09:53 PM
your stationed at fort drum? I live in watertown ny that is like 2 miles from fort drum.

86ATC250r
11-17-2003, 11:06 PM
i live in clayton....thats 20 miles north of watertown.......willing to sell my 86 R if any1 is interested

twgranger
11-17-2003, 11:09 PM
i live in clayton....thats 20 miles north of watertown.......willing to sell my 86 R if any1 is interestedyeah i have worked in clayton plenty of times.

Ace Mon
11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Im one to believe the 87 R story untill proven otherwise . But as far as the 105 MPH . I dare cry BS . I have a 310 r with an aftermarket carb and pipe and 105 isnt possible .

JMiller
11-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Nice Tecate. I'm the proud owner of 87 T3 myself.

350Xccelerator
11-24-2003, 10:42 PM
lol that happens to me every time i ride my 350x.

SoCalDesertRider
12-01-2003, 01:41 AM
The seat on my 85 looks like the one in that picture above.

jtr
12-02-2003, 01:15 AM
could you please post some pics of your "87" on here or email them to me. azwakeboarder@hotmail.com thanks