PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get Spark For 200es

95PurpleHaze
03-31-2012, 02:57 AM
Ok so here is what happened. I have an '84 200es and last summer it ran great. Well when I went to start it after 2 weeks of sitting she woulkdnt turn over when I went to use the electric start. I thought maybe it was the battery so I went to put it on a charger (Its a lawn mower battery in the trunk instead of the factory battery) She wtill wouldnt turn over. Me and my dad ran down the wiring problem to the starter silinoid and it wasnt engaging. So Just recently me and my friends went to take a look at it. We bipassed the silinoid by making it engage and the motor was turning over but not starting. So we looked at the coil and the spark plug and the plug looked old, along with the coil looking like it has seen better days. So I ordered a new starter silinoid (I know im spelling wrong lol) and a plug and coil. Well I changed the coil and plug and she STILL isnt getting any spark. I didnt change the silinoid yet because the wires for it dont have the right plug in it so I will have to do some wire splicing.

I dont have a clue as to what could be wrong besides a short or a blown fuse somewhere. I checked any fuse I could find and they looked good.

Any advise would be good. I trust that y'all have more experience with this than me.

Thanks, Jared (the new guy

ps- the pull rope wouldnt get it started either.

Howdy
03-31-2012, 03:02 AM
Do a search here for exciter coil. My guess is it has went bad.
Howdy

95PurpleHaze
04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks, I got it to turn over on its own but still now spark. The Neutral switch went out along with the reverse safety relay. I bi-passed both so that it would turn over and its not getting spark. Still testing everything and running down the wires. Its a pain but worth it. I just hope my CDI didnt go out.

Thanks, Jared

tri again
04-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Deep breath.
Seems like this happens to all of us.
so? no spark with the pull rope either?

sometimes they will spark with the pull and not the elec starter.

Everyone says to clean all connections, especially grounds.

Some people have even changed wire harnesses only to admit they work
probably because they cleaned and checked EVERY connection.

Good luck and keep us posted.
We all need to know what the problem was.

Thanks

see if you can click on these words: service manual
It tells you where everything is and how to test stuff with a cheap meter.
also, the search key will pull up tons of pages about
'no spark big red'

95PurpleHaze
04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks man, I have downloaded the manual a while back and I would be lost if I hadn't. I'm about to go give it a read and see how to check the CDI.

Thanks, Jared