PDA

View Full Version : 83 250r No 2nd Gear

RaceBannon
03-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Need some advice.... I found an 83 250r for sale ($400 o.bo.) that runs but is missing 2nd gear.

I have only seen a picture of it, its dirty, missing the headlight, seat is beat up, but it does look

complete.

What could be the issue with the gear?

Would this be something to look at?

Looking foward to your opinions.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-31-2012, 09:06 AM
When a transmission doesn't function in all gears it will likely need at least the gear that doesn't function and the corresponding shift fork. That is the most likely cause. Sometimes the shift drum needs replacing as well.

This repair will require complete dis-assembly of engine and is a fairly involved job. But if you have mechanical ability and a good service manual to guide you along the way it's not bad. The question is how available the parts you would need are. I know transmission parts out of a liquid cooled R ('85-'86) are not the same. Not sure if the earlier '81-'82 models parts would interchange or not.

In some cases you are better off to replace the whole transmission with one that is known for sure to work.

I'm not sure I would part with $400 for a rough '83 with a bad tranny. Yes, the transmission is bad and I would elude to that fact and try to get it for $300 or less if I wanted it.

rgthree
03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I bought mine with no second gear. The gears are discontinued and what happened with mine is the tree teeth on the gear that slide into the gear next that Lock the gear in wore out. I welded up the teeth then spent time with a grinder till it was just right. That was 5 years ago and haven't had an issue since. But 400 is kinda steep for a beat up fooler talk him down 300 would be more correct for what it is

RIDE-RED 250r
03-31-2012, 09:18 AM
I bought mine with no second gear. The gears are discontinued and what happened with mine is the tree teeth on the gear that slide into the gear next that Lock the gear in wore out. I welded up the teeth then spent time with a grinder till it was just right. That was 5 years ago and haven't had an issue since. But 400 is kinda steep for a beat up fooler talk him down 300 would be more correct for what it is

That's impressive considering the small margin of error that makes the difference between a transmission that works and one that doesn't! Well done! :beer

Personally, I would probably try and find the tranny parts on E-bay or here. But sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.... ;)

RaceBannon
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Update: Turns out to be an 84. Working on posting a pic. I'm still new here, but i'll get it figured out.

Thanks Guys!

rgthree
03-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Don't worry it went together more then once... Trial and error. An my thoughts were I'll buy a new gear this is just temporary to go riding this weekend. Lol

falloutboy
04-01-2012, 02:50 AM
x3 on the $300 mark. Figure on doing a top end while you have it apart.

RaceBannon
04-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Decided to pass this one up. It was an 84 POS. I'll either put the $$ into my 250sx project or,knowing myself, find another one.

Swinger
04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
I got a complete trany and counterbalancer for an 84 R that I cant use if you change your mind. $40+ shipping and its anyone that wants it.

RaceBannon
04-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Thank's 84t3, I'll keep that in mind.